Resident LTC question

Grr

So I filled out my paperwork and dropped it off at my local PD, and the clerk said "we will contact you when it is ready." - that was a month ago. Per NH law they have 14 days to provide permit or provide written reason for denial. I have been super busy and also dont want to piss off the PD. At what point do I call or stop in to say hello and ask where my LTC is? Location - seacoast of NH.

First do you have any way to verify in a courtroom that you dropped off your application a month ago? ( I used certified mail for my LTC app and will when it comes time to renew so that I have documented proof when they received the app)
Second, call them up and politely inquire about it. If they try to give you the runaround, cite the law, and politely demand they approve or deny you now. If you opt to stop by the station, print our a copy of the RSA and highlight the applicable section just in case you have to demand that they approve or deny you now.
Third, contact GONH.

The law in question (see bolded text):

When talking to them refer to the law as RSA 159 Section 6.

159:6 License to Carry. –
I. The selectmen of a town or the mayor or chief of police of a city or some full-time police officer designated by them respectively, upon application of any resident of such town or city, or the director of state police, or some person designated by such director, upon application of a nonresident, shall issue a license to such applicant authorizing the applicant to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in this state for not less than 4 years from the date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property or has any proper purpose, and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed. Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose. The license shall be valid for all allowable purposes regardless of the purpose for which it was originally issued. The license shall be in duplicate and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee. The original shall be delivered to the licensee and the duplicate shall be preserved by the people issuing the same for 4 years. When required, license renewal shall take place within the month of the fourth anniversary of the license holder's date of birth following the date of issuance. The license shall be issued within 14 days after application, and, if such application is denied, the reason for such denial shall be stated in writing, the original of which such writing shall be delivered to the applicant, and a copy kept in the office of the person to whom the application was made. The fee for licenses issued to residents of the state shall be $10, which fee shall be for the use of the law enforcement department of the town or city granting said licenses; the fee for licenses granted to out-of-state residents shall be $100, which fee shall be for the use of the state. The director of state police is hereby authorized and directed to prepare forms for the licenses required under this chapter and forms for the application for such licenses and to supply the same to officials of the cities and towns authorized to issue the licenses. No other forms shall be used by officials of cities and towns. The cost of the forms shall be paid out of the fees received from nonresident licenses.
II. No photograph or fingerprint shall be required or used as a basis to grant, deny, or renew a license to carry for a resident or nonresident, unless requested by the applicant.

sadly, i was stupid and just dropped off the papers. I didnt take a copy, I didnt have them sign reciept, etc. In hindsight it was very stupid of me. I am planning on stopping by tomorrow and playing nice, we shall see where that gets me. Durham, eh, where do you shoot? I have been a bad gun owner and havent found a good place to shoot yet. I see you own a model 70, me too. I have an XLT featherweight.

At least they didn't give you the run around. And you now know the proper procedure when it comes time to renew. They are less likely to delay it when they know you have verifiable proof (certified mail) of when they received the application.
I shoot at MWSA in Barrington. It is a good club if you are nearby. The NRA classes are wicked cheap too (compared to some other clubs near MA). I believe basic pistol was $60.

The mistake I made with my model 70 was getting it in 270WSM. 270WSM is wicked expensive ($40 per 20 rounds) unless you reload.

Turns out the desk jockey didnt write my phone number down in any way that could be read. They said they had been trying to call me for a while but couldnt figure out the numbers written on their own form. All I want in a place to shoot is open space and a back drop to catch. Indoor is nice for winter.

Turns out the desk jockey didn't write my phone number down in any way that could be read. They said they had been trying to call me for a while but couldn't figure out the numbers written on their own form. All I want in a place to shoot is open space and a back drop to catch. Indoor is nice for winter.

That is frickin hilarious. They have your name and address yet they couldn't think to look in the phone book (or the DMV for that matter) to get your phone number.

seriously. they are the freakin police. Are you telling me they couldnt find my phone number or address. I guess the local police arent about to put effort into their legal obligations, oh well.

Turns out the desk jockey didnt write my phone number down in any way that could be read. They said they had been trying to call me for a while but couldnt figure out the numbers written on their own form. All I want in a place to shoot is open space and a back drop to catch. Indoor is nice for winter.

My PD dropped mine off. If they didn't want to go that far, they could have googled your name and address and had the phone number in about 10 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom