Resale value of "build it yourself" firearms?

Don't think of resale value. Think of how much it would cost to get a rifle made the exact way YOU want from a store/vendor. Chances are, you'll use better components in the build. Plus not cut corners on the build. You can also build configurations that are not typically done by shops.

I don't build my firearms to resell them. I build/alter them to be better for ME. IDGAF if no one else ever wants one of them. Let them get/build their own rifle.

IMO, if you're only thinking of resale value, you're thinking about it all wrong.

Depends on what parts you bought at what price.

Many of the AKMs I've built could sell for 2-3x what I invested in them. But the price increase has more to do with the "going market value" of such rifles and parts than what they actually are.

Even when talking about "historic replica recreations" the value is only to the beholder of the beauty. And usually that's just 1 person out of a million (you).

... also- the OP being from MA means that building has another value:

when the PRM says "you can't have this" and a gunsmith is either too stubborn or too expensive to go to in order to convert something you want, your only remaining options are to cut your balls off or build it yourself.

It is only under constraints that your ingenuity actually shines.

Depends on what you build and how skillful you are at building it. I have easily doubled my money on 1911 builds. AK's and AR's are another story other than the panic era, I think you'd be lucky to make 20%....

Resale value of "build it yourself" firearms?

Is it ever possible to break even on a build?

Building an AR and then trying to resell it? Very doubtful. If resale value is a concern, go with a popular quality name and, most importantly, buy it right. Even a popular name brand gun won't return what you paid (or something close) if you overpaid for it. Check out the classifieds for plenty of examples.

As many say, resale value is hard to say.....lets just say you assemble a IDK, S&W M&P tactical clone and you happen to get all the right parts for 25% less than retail...ok so now what sell it at full retail with out the S&W lifetime warrenty ? Doesnt mean you cant make money. I have done well with out trying. The "resale" was never a thought though. I built out a 204 cal rifle, basically a ground hog gun. 26" barrel harris bipod, full length battle rail on top of a LMT lower with RRA lpk. I bought the 204 "kit" from someone who just lost interest. At the range one day and a gent offered me 450$ over what it cost to build it. How do you say no to a rifle you hardly shoot! (i came to this conclusion only after I bought it) aint no ground hogs around me.
You really need to build something different or with some harder to get items that people might want.
unless your buying in bulk you wont even come close to paying for your time invested.

Depends on the build.

I've seen plenty of very "unique" builds, or builds that utilize a lot of premium parts. A build like that probably won't sell for what went into it because it'll be more difficult to find a buyer who wants that specific configuration, and no one else is going to pay the markup for premium parts they don't necessarily want.

Plus there is the DIY factor that will turn away some buyers.

That's how you end up with the guy who has the "tacticool" AR he spent $2000 to build who is all pissed off no one will offer him more than $1200 for it

On the other hand, if you shop carefully for a base model build using milspec parts in a generic configuration, you can probably get your money back out of it. I've seen plenty of guys build ARs for $500-$700 and sell them for a lot more.

I wouldn't buy any of the "I-have-$1500-into-this-so-I'm-asking-$1350" AR builds in the classifieds here because I can build my own, and I know that I'll do it right.

The person that is going to buy a home-built AR is someone that can't build it himself, or someone that wants the parts - and the builds are often priced too high for the guy wanting the parts.

With that said, you can make money on them, but timing is everything.

During Obamascare 2008, lots of people panic-bought stockpiles of AR parts. A lot of these same people were selling the parts for quarters-on-the-dollar 18 months later. If someone was smart enough to buy those discounted parts, sit on them for a while, and build them into rifles for sale during the latest Obamascare, they would've made a killing.

Made good money on an AR I sold early in 2013, but that was cause of the scare post-Newtown. Going to build more AR's but without reselling in mind though.

Sent from my iPhone

I wouldn't buy any of the "I-have-$1500-into-this-so-I'm-asking-$1350" AR builds in the classifieds here because I can build my own, and I know that I'll do it right.

The person that is going to buy a home-built AR is someone that can't build it himself, or someone that wants the parts - and the builds are often priced too high for the guy wanting the parts.

With that said, you can make money on them, but timing is everything.

During Obamascare 2008, lots of people panic-bought stockpiles of AR parts. A lot of these same people were selling the parts for quarters-on-the-dollar 18 months later. If someone was smart enough to buy those discounted parts, sit on them for a while, and build them into rifles for sale during the latest Obamascare, they would've made a killing.

This.....I sold all my factory new rifles back in march 2013. Didnt even try. Friends where calling me and throwing offers at me. I sold everything but my RRA A2 rifle, RRA NM model and one stripped YHM nes lower which I'm building into a oprics only rifle.
I sold all my extra parts off also. I did well. 90% of what I sold was NIB.

yes, building costs money. The price difference between some kits and completed firearms could run into several grand just because building requires specialized tools and jigs, and I am not talking about even AK/HK type builds. Some small shops make money buying kits in bulk and hoping that completed guns would bring in profits, but it's a tricky business and investment in jigs is spread out over large number of guns made.

The other aspect is skill and tools. Good tools and jigs cost money and could be a worthwhile investment. The most pricey good is your skills. Don't discount that.

Seems a risky business proposition to me. If you built it to sell it, you'll find the right buyer. If you built it for yourself, you are the right buyer - or at least that's what I figure.

I've never lost money on a home build but I usually don't pay retail for anything. I generally don't sell stuff but if I do its something I don't use and the money is to fund something I don't want the ole lady to find out about!

The home builds i've sold have all made some money...Timing is key!

Back
Top Bottom