Replaced tactical gun case foam

71montess

NES Member
SM8CXf
I bought 2 pieces of 2" foam for my 2 tactical cases. The foam was kind of pricey at $60.00 sipped and the Hotwire foam cutter was $32.00 off eBay but it's a much more finished look than that pluck foam stuff.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
That's sweet man!! How is it to get a cut started? Poke hole through, run wire through, re-connect, etc. Looks like you have the technique down, unless you're hiding your boo-boos under the old foam?!?!?![smile]

The tiny bit of the new foam that's visible looks good!

I need a hotwire cutter. Got a couple cases a few years ago as gifts (a pelican and storm) and was going to cut the foam with an electric carving knife until I found a thread on ar15.com where guys made their own and made some amazing looking foam cutouts - I put down the elec knife, but never followed through putting together a hot wire cutter. Didn't realize you could just buy one - I never even looked; so thanks!

I find an electric turkey carver works good, while i like your hot wire i dont really care how well my stuff fits the foam....im even alittle OCD, what makes me sick is someone putting a hot gun in the foam....
My stuff gets so hot i bought a carbon fiber 1800 welding blanket.to put my stuff on.

Foam is Urethane Chemistry, water blown with Isocyanates. Great stuff, gun cabinets and cases not so much. In a gun case, a run to the range its fine. Long term storage it can cause rust/corrosion issues.

The foam sometimes has un reacted Isocyanates in it. Moisture/humidity can cause a reaction between the foam and metal and pit the hell out of the metal where ever foam and metal contacted.

Never use foam in a gun storage cabinet (good ones use cloth/cheap ones use foam)

Don't store guns long term in foam lined cases.

Urethane Foams and gun metal will lead to issues.

37 years Urethane Chemist.

Foam is Urethane Chemistry, water blown with Isocyanates. Great stuff, gun cabinets and cases not so much. In a gun case, a run to the range its fine. Long term storage it can cause rust/corrosion issues.

The foam sometimes has un reacted Isocyanates in it. Moisture/humidity can cause a reaction between the foam and metal and pit the hell out of the metal where ever foam and metal contacted.

Never use foam in a gun storage cabinet (good ones use cloth/cheap ones use foam)

Heed this advice

Well, hell. I just finished a nice open storage case for my handguns in the basement using foam. If the humidity stays low is it still a problem?

Low Density Polyurethanes mostly suck but there are other, better foam options.
Polyethylene (think computer packaging) is more rigid and there's less out-gassing.

Polystyrene (Styrofoam) is too brittle, but there are similar looking materials like expanded polypropylene or cross-linked polyethylene.

14 years Foam Fabrication.

Awesome advice !! Rep point sent.

0 years with foam [rofl]

i second the electric carving knife, picked up a cheap one at wally for about $10. My case is nice and neat

Well, hell. I just finished a nice open storage case for my handguns in the basement using foam. If the humidity stays low is it still a problem?

It is the humidity that triggers it. Why risk it. The softer foams have water content as high as 10 parts. Sure I'll run to the club with my rifle in a soft case but my gun safes are cloth lined and I don't store them touching foam. The pitting will make you cry.

Nice work, but it's giving me bad flashbacks of cutting foam for Air Guard toolboxes.

Every....damn....toolbox....

thumb4.jpg
I do grant funding for lean and process improvement training. Shadow boxes like that are high impact, low cost... And a massive pain in the ass for those that have to do it. I don't envy that task.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Is cross linked polyethylene foam, cut on a CNC router. Its really good at not absorbing moisture and oil. This ones for a 16inch scary black rifle with a scope.
20170320_181234-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom