Renewed Respect for Moderators

I just started a Ning site for the Rhode Island Tea Party:

http://riteaparty.ning.com/

In 24 hours it has 71 members and 12 working groups. It's going to be very cool once people get to work on the issue committees and share their results. It's the next step toward the Tea Party's strategy of "Active Citizen Governance".

Of course, the first thing a few folks did was post "cute" or "funny" photos and vids containing offensive material. I just had to spend nearly an hour deleting them and sending messages to the posters explaining the policy.

Thanks, Mods. Until we try it, we don't really know how much work you have to do.

I just started a Ning site for the Rhode Island Tea Party:

http://riteaparty.ning.com/

In 24 hours it has 71 members and 12 working groups. It's going to be very cool once people get to work on the issue committees and share their results. It's the next step toward the Tea Party's strategy of "Active Citizen Governance".

Of course, the first thing a few folks did was post "cute" or "funny" photos and vids containing offensive material. I just had to spend nearly an hour deleting them and sending messages to the posters explaining the policy.

Thanks, Mods. Until we try it, we don't really know how much work you have to do.

It was nice knowing you![laugh]
Good on you for this.

Im a Mod on another site....I agree I just thought when an argument between members came up you stepped in, theres a little more to it..its a good time though.

I was a Moderator on treadhead.com for a while.

Moderators daily demonstrate the adage "No good deed goes unpunished."

I help moderate a site with just shy of 54,000 members. I'm just thankful that most of my work is in behind the scenes development and that there are a handful of others that do the large majority of the real moderating. I tend to try to be very diplomatic resulting in my "moderation" being accompanied by a couple of paragraphs to the user explaining the policies and whatnot. The other mods do their job MUCH more efficiently and aren't afraid to scare off the bad apples. Considering the size the community has grown to I'd say their methods have worked and with much less of a hassle than I go through when I do step in ;)

I echo the thanks to the mods here -- it's an all to often thankless job that doesn't have nearly enough benefits more often than not!

This one's gotta be fun -- the Ubuntu Linux forum: 73,484 active members:

ubuntu%20forum.jpg

Back
Top Bottom