Remove LTC restriction when moving?

crispnipz

NES Member
Hey NES braintrust,

I live in Medford at the moment but am strongly considering apartments to move to in Melrose, Malden, or Everett. All three of those towns generally seem to be green. But I have my Medford-issued restricted LTC which doesn't expire for nearly 2 years.

Recently I contacted Medford PD to see if they would lift the restriction (since we have gotten both a new CoP and mayor in the time since mine was issued). They denied that request but assured me that Medford still upgrades on 1st renewal...great! Well, in talking with the department, they mentioned I could transfer my LTC to another town if I moved.

I'm unfamiliar with how this works. My understanding is that it is possible for a town to transfer "ownership" of an LTC to the town a person moves to, but that the town which originally issued the LTC has no legal obligation to. Is that right? If so, it sounds like Medford would be willing to do that.

So then my question becomes: Knowing that Melrose, Malden, and Everett all generally issue unrestricted LTCs to new first-time applicants, what is the likelihood that any of them would lift the restriction? Does anyone licensed in those towns have experience with that?

When you move' your old town still owns your LTC,and it's restriction until it expires,
or they ,are willing to expire it early.Then you can reapply in your new town.

When you move' your old town still owns your LTC,and it's restriction until it expires,
Love the wording. And yes, there are towns that will NOT expire an LTC early effectively meaning that for the duration they own you as well.

Thank you, that is clear. Do you have to wait until the old town expires the LTC before applying for the new one? Is there a confirmation or letter of some sort?

Only 2206 posts on this subject. Jack.

Yeah, well, if MGL wasn't so complicated...

That’s pretty good considering there are only like 350 towns/cities in Mass. That’s an average of 7 posts per town. So even at that rate I’d say the topic has been beat to death. ;) But it’s easier just to answer some of the posts.

I'll have you know I made a good faith effort to find an answer to this question, both here and the broader internet!

Thank you, that is clear. Do you have to wait until the old town expires the LTC before applying for the new one? Is there a confirmation or letter of some sort?

Yeah, well, if MGL wasn't so complicated...

I'll have you know I made a good faith effort to find an answer to this question, both here and the broader internet!
even if you hadn’t looked, that’s why I said it’s just easier to give an honest answer and move on than harp on you.

Back
Top Bottom