Remington 597

I must have been reading too many of the liberty training rifle threads as I've been looking for a Ruger 10/22. I went to 4 stores this weekend, but didn't pick one up (couldn't find a black stock; s.s. barrel). At my last stop tonite, at Dick's in Leominster, I saw a Remington 597 and it seemed very similar to the Ruger 10/22. I came within a hair of picking it up, but I was unfamiliar the model and didin't grab it. Anybody have any experience with the Remington? Thanks in advance for any insight!

I don't know anything about the Remington, but the Ruger 10/22 has it's reputation for a reason. Take the time to find the Ruger, you'll be glad you did.

My brother had a Remington 597.

Stay AWAY. Nothing but problems.

Wasn't terribly accurate. Feeding/extracting problems like you wouldn't imagine with all types of ammo. Had magazine issues.

He sold it and got a 10/22 and never looked back.

Keep looking for the Ruger [smile]

I have a 597 and my girlfried has a 10/22. I like the way the 597 feels but it is a pain in the ass. I have had nothing but feeding issues with it, and the aftermarket is virtually nonexistant. It fits me better than a 10/22 but I can rarely get through 30 rounds without a jam. In fact, the last time I had it out it acted like a magazine fed bolt action.

Get the 10/22. You'll be glad you did.

Did you get the standard carbine?

Yes, the standard 10/22 carbine with synthetic stock with a blued barrel, about as basic as you can get... plenty of room for upgrades.

I brought it to the range yesterday and was very happy with it.

Actually after putting about 60 rounds through it I switched over and shot some pistol. I shot better with the pistol then I usually do, I wonder if this is a coincidence or not...

Back
Top Bottom