Reloading: The Math

As interesting as the economics (and economies) of reloading may be, my advice to anyone who is considering reloading SIMPLY to save money is: Don't.

Again, this depends on what you are reloading, and how much you shoot. If you're planning on using up 100 rounds of .45 ACP or 9mm per week, then you are correct - reloading will not save money.

With more expensive calibers, reloading saves a ton of cash. For example, at the car shoot on Saturday I went through 150 rounds each of .500 S&W Magnum and .460 S&W Magnum. If I were to have paid retail prices for that ammo, the cost would have been roughly $600. My actual cost (for my own reloaded ammo) was around $150.

My ammo is also more fun than the factory stuff. Ask anyone who was there.

Again, this depends on what you are reloading, and how much you shoot. If you're planning on using up 100 rounds of .45 ACP or 9mm per week, then you are correct - reloading will not save money.

With more expensive calibers, reloading saves a ton of cash. For example, at the car shoot on Saturday I went through 150 rounds each of .500 S&W Magnum and .460 S&W Magnum. If I were to have paid retail prices for that ammo, the cost would have been roughly $600. My actual cost (for my own reloaded ammo) was around $150.

My ammo is also more fun than the factory stuff. Ask anyone who was there.

My point is more along these lines: unless you get into reloading because you find it an interesting hobby, and will devote to it the attention that one usually devotes to interesting hobbies -- that is to say, so long as you don't view reloading as a horrible chore, to be spun through as quickly as possible -- it can be dangerous. A moment's inattention or mental lapse can produce some dramatic results.

Why I reload?

Well, it is because the major ammo makers do not even make the ammunition I need. And my calibers are 9x19, .45ACP, and .44 Remington Magnum.

Is there an inexpensive, low-recoiling, accurate load out there in 9x19 that will function in my G17? No. So I cast my own 157gr LRN from wheelweights every winter, and load them to 830 FPS with a mere 2.7 gr of HTG. There is NO leading in my stock G17 barrel, as I use the excellent Lee liquid alox lube.

Is there a .45 ACP load out there that accurately delivers a sharp-shouldered 253gr bullet at 850 FPS out of a stock M1911A1 barrel? No. So I cast my own 253gr LSWC flat-based bullets from wheelweights, and load them in Winchester cases with 5.8gr WSF ahead of WLP primers. They kill bowling pins nicely.

Is there a .44 Remington Magnum load out there that accurately delivers a sharp-shouldered SWC at PF225-235? No. So I cast 212gr full wadcutter bullets and load them with 7.7gr HTG and Fed150 primers. They kill bowling pins nicely.

That is why I cast my own bullets and reload my own cartridges. It matters not that they may cost more per round than factory ammunition.

If someone wanted to store 20K primers how would they go about it legally? I was under the impression 5K was the limit for storing in ones home if you had the additional fire permit. Thanks.

Reload a lot[wink] They go real fast. But seriously, they are not stored in a residence and you will not get an answer if you ask where.

Last edited:
Reload a lot[wink] They go real fast. But seriously, they are not stored in a residence and you will not get an answer if you ask where.
OK, I won't ask. I've got quite a few stocked up myself. I had to enlist the help of a few friends to let me store them at their houses. After some of the horror stories I've heard you can never be too careful. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom