reloading questions just starting out

i bought a lee loadmaster setup for 9mm. i ran quite a few rounds through it,
but i seem to be having trouble with my powder disk, it is very sporatic in its grain weight. but then i wieghed both my barnes plated 115 gr and my winchester 115 gr bullets and i found anywhere from 114.8 to 115.7 gr on the weight. so i got a varience in the weight of the rounds i reloaded by a grain or so, so is my powder going to to heavy or are the bullets causing the variance? ive checked the powder disk many times and its right at 4.6 grains
( im using w231 ) i just dont want to ruin the barrel or have a kaboom, but all the books ive bought say load with precision, but the bullets are way off in weight...any suggestions on how to properly reload with the bullet weight being differant or anyone usinf the lee powder disk....thanks

Are you asking if the varing bullet weight will cause an over pressure problem? I would say no, a slight variation in plated bullets is common. Have you worked up to the 4.6 gr charge? that is only .2gr from the max load with that powder.

At 115.7 gr, a bullet is only 0.6% (i.e., 6 tenths of one percent) over its nominal weight of 115.0 gr. That's not enough of a difference to cause problems, which is a good thing because if such minor differences caused kabooms none of us would have any guns left.

ive checked the powder disk many times and its right at 4.6 grains
Are you using the Pro Auto Disk? I have found it to throw very consistent. It looks like you already discovered that weighing loaded ammo doesn't work. Just with the difference in weight with the bullets and brass you can be off a few grains so you have no idea what the powder drop is. If you have been weighing powder drops and they weight 4.6 grains and thats in the safe range according to your manual then it sounds like you are good to go.
Rusty

Back
Top Bottom