• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading for a P220

Neptune Cat

NES Member
Does anyone out there reload for a P220? I've been reloading 200gr SWC for may P220 and have had nothing but problems. The gun runs 100% with factory FMJ. I've found that others have had problems with the SWC's but I don't know if they are having the same problems as I am.

My P220 will pick up the edge of the bullet in the top cartridge in the magazine with the spent cartridge while trying to eject it. On a few occasions it has pushed the bullet of the next cartridge deep into the brass. This is obviously a showstopper. Apparently the magazine is very high in the P220.

I am planning on trying some 200gr. RNFP but first I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has tried them. I'm wondering if I would have better luck with the 230gr. RN bullets.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

I've had no problems with Plated (Berrys) or FMJ (Win). I used Win 231 powder. 5.2-5.4gr is a fairly light load that will get the job done.

SWCs can often be a pain in the ass regardless of the gun (well, save for wheelguns, which don't care!) at least in .45 ACP. I would suggest farting around with the OAL a bit. Make a box of them loaded long, in the middle somwhere, and then some near or above minimum OAL.

-Mike

SWCs can often be a pain in the ass regardless of the gun (well, save for wheelguns, which don't care!) at least in .45 ACP. I would suggest farting around with the OAL a bit.
-Mike

Or just spend a little more on ball ammo and not worry about it. [wink]

I load Northeast Bullet Co. hardcast SWC's in my P220 and have had no problems whatsoever. How old is your gun? I have heard that things have gone a bit downhill at SIG in the past couple years. Nothing really but what people are saying, but my P220 is about 10 or so years old and it will eat ANYTHING!!!!

I use Northeast 230 LRN and Berry 230 grain with 6.4 Unique. 100 percent reliability in a two year old 220C. I've even used Rainier SWC with the same reliability which surprised me. The one thing I have noticed is that the the seating depth of the bullet is critical in at least the newer magazines. Even some factory loads do not fit the magazines very well as the OAL is too great.

Back
Top Bottom