Reloading dies

So im looking at dies to load .223 and im wondering if the dillon dies are the end all be all of dies, or if the lee dies are any good? Im looking for a full length resizing die (cant afford the carbide) seating die and a mild crimp. What is your guys experience with the pacesetter dies. It would be nice to save 30 bucks on a set of dies if they lee ones are any good.

If cash flow is the question, then you can't go wrong with Lee dies. I normally use RCBS, but just purchased a lee powder measure and crimp die from Cabelas in E. Hartford. For a cheap price, they work well.

While Dillon are great dies and make using their presses somewhat easier, I use RCBS and Lee for most of my reloading. I use a Lee Factory Crimp die along with those sets as I like the crimp step to be separate from the seating step.

I am a big Dillon fan (300, 450, 550, and 1050) and have used their 223 dies which work fine. I have also used the Lee 223 dies and find them to be just as good.

Carbide rifle dies aren't as great as their pistol counterparts because you still have to lube the cases when resizing rifle cases, carbide dies or not. The carbide dies last longer but cost a lot more. So far I have stuck with steel dies for rifle case resizing.

I have the RCBS X dies for 223 and 308. They work great, and eliminate the need for trimming of your brass. I would also add on a Lee factory crimp die to complete the package!

I have the RCBS X dies for 223 and 308. They work great, and eliminate the need for trimming of your brass. I would also add on a Lee factory crimp die to complete the package!

+1 on the X dies. I haven't used mine to reload .223 yet -- I'm about to start my first batch when the bullets arrive soon -- but EddieCoyle gave me the tip on this one, and it'll be nice not to have to re-size every time.

I have used Lee, Lyman and RCBS for 30 years. The Lee dies don't have as fancy package as the others and work as well. As with all of then, you need to keep them clean. I strip my dies down once a year, at least, and clean and oil them.

but EddieCoyle gave me the tip on this one, and it'll be nice not to have to re-size every time.

Whoa there! You still have to resize - you just don't have to trim each time.

I've had good luck with the X-dies. I'll never buy a Lee die again as long as I live. I'll stick with Redding, RCBS, Hornady, and Dillon.

If your bullets don't have a cannelure, you won't need a crimp die at all. Even if they do, there's some question as to whether or not you'll need it. Lot's of people don't crimp their .223 rounds. I crimp when there's a cannelure, and don't when there's not.

Do a search on "crimp" here in the reloading forum. There are a couple of threads on it.

Last edited:
Just starting on .223 myself - I did get the dillon die set.

I am new to the rifle reloading - if I have brand new brass i take it no triming is necessary. Once I have once or more used brass triming will be necessary.

I have to refresh myself with my reloading books.

Last edited:
IF the brass was made to proper specs, you should not have to do anything with that brand new brass. That's a big IF, as I have had brand new brass that still needed to be sized and trimmed. So, you should measure your new brass, and make sure it is correct, then trim if necessary.

IF the brass was made to proper specs, you should not have to do anything with that brand new brass. That's a big IF, as I have had brand new brass that still needed to be sized and trimmed. So, you should measure your new brass, and make sure it is correct, then trim if necessary.

Thanks for the reply - i will certainly check.

My 2 bits, I have used Lee equipment for years, but the QC has gone down hill and there customer service, I think, sucks. That being said I have loaded thousands of rounds on Lee dies without to many problems. I recently bought a set of Redding dies for 223, full length, type s neck sizer, and competition seater die and they are great. In fact I am going to switch all my rifle dies over to Redding. I also recently picked up a set of Hornandy dies for 6.8 and they are excellent too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom