Reloading Breakdown

He was an old guy, that was given the press as a gift...he didn't want it and put it in the Want Advertiser. .

Hey, I think I tried buying that setup. Was he located in NH???

Actually there is a Square Deal B in the Want Ad right now. Not sure if it's still for sale but def. a great deal:

DILLON SQUARE DEAL B RELOADER, 45 ACP
Progressive pistol reloader in 45 ACP. Great cond, lifetime warr. Works great, free set-up & instr. $225; Call Mike. (cell) 508-641-1988, (Salem) 978-740-1080

I guess that is where we differ. Although I have a lot of brass I use over and over again, it has a value. As far as range brass for 40, Until I got the EGW die recently, I would not shoot Glock fired brass.

At .69 a pound as scrap, brass has a value. Anyone disagreeing with that, I will take all the brass you have and scrap it to buy new.[wink]

I have buckets of brass for everything I shoot but for calculation purposes, I use a value. If you really want to be precise, you should also figure labor [grin]

I don't reload to "save money" I reload because I enjoy it and because I like the finished product. I would be much better off going out working those hours and buying new ammo.

My calculations on reloading costs are based on out of pocket expenses. I don't pay anything for .40 brass so it is free.

Copper has skyrocketed; fuel costs are driving the price of everything up and the CMP is OUT of LC .30-'06. As in gone, there is no more available by mail order.

Component costs are rising daily; buy them assembled as a cartridge and pay far more.

So - why would anyone NOT get into reloading?

Time is a huge factor for a lot of people. For many, their time is worth more than the money they'd save reloading.

Yeah, but the incentives of reloading are starting to increase as the prices of
commercial ammo increase. A guy who shoots 1000 rounds or less of a
caliber a year can probably get away without reloading, but people who
blow that much in a month or a quarter of a year are going to ask themselves
why they're not doing it, unless they're made of money. Most of the time
consumption is initial; after the initial learning curve is overcome you can basically
set the machine up and start pumping out ammo pretty efficiently.

-Mike

In light of the 25% price increase scheduled to hit September 1st for .223 ammo (in addition to the already umpteen % accrued already over the last year) i find myself regretting my decision to buy a black rifle amid all the deval and post strip club shooting hype.
Can someone who reloads .223, and perhaps .45apc help breakdown what the cost is per round, or even per 100-500 so i can get a clearer picture of how much savings i stand to see when i finally light a fire under my ass and buy a press. Ive been putting off buying one for months now, all the while buying more commercial ammo as the prices keep spiraling upwards..im a damn fool!
I really just need someone would be kind enough to spell out the savings in black and white, plain and simple numbers.

Let's answer your original question:

223 once fired Brass on E bay-$104 for 1000
Small rifle primers-$98 for 5000 (got them yesterday and don't ask where)
55gr bullets-$72 per 1000
Powder:$15 per pound you use 25gr per round

=======================================================

45ACP once fired brass mixed head stamp $60 per 1000
Large Pistol primers $98 for 5000
230gr FMJ round nose $208 per 2000
230gr Molly coated lead-$153 per 2000
Powder 8# $96 you use about 4.5gr per round

Now figure about $1500 to get set up for both calibers and see what it costs you.

The pruices listed are current as of yesterday but change every time you turn around. I have invested enough in components to hopefully take care of me for the next year. I plan a winter of heavy reloading. I just need 45ACP bullets and I am set to go as I am down to 2000.

Have fun,

E-mail me.

Copper has skyrocketed; fuel costs are driving the price of everything up and the CMP is OUT of LC .30-'06. As in gone, there is no more available by mail order.

Component costs are rising daily; buy them assembled as a cartridge and pay far more.

So - why would anyone NOT get into reloading?

Right now my issue is one of space. I sold my condo in MA and have been renting a place in NH while I try to find a new house.

Once I move, I'm getting into reloading. I average about $150 to $200 in new ammo (mostly .40 S&W) per month and would love to get that number lower.

Time is a huge factor for a lot of people. For many, their time is worth more than the money they'd save reloading.

As addressed in my original post (#8):

There is also the time factor. All of these should be included in your calculations, yet seem to be overlooked.

The fact that the loads can be tailored to your type of shooting in your gun, often using bullet and propellant options not commercially available, is another significant factor. I cannot use commercial .38 Super ammo in the race gun; it won't even cycle the slide. If I didn't reload, I could not use the gun.

Let's answer your original question:

Now figure about $1500 to get set up for both calibers and see what it costs you.

The pruices listed are current as of yesterday but change every time you turn around. I have invested enough in components to hopefully take care of me for the next year. I plan a winter of heavy reloading. I just need 45ACP bullets and I am set to go as I am down to 2000.

Have fun,

1000 223 cases for $104?. I bought 3000 once fired Lake City cases from Bartlett's Reloading for $75 plus shipping (two years ago). 55 gr bullets by IMI from Wideners for $35/1000, and eight pounds of WCC 844 from Wideners for $49.95. I realize these price quotes are two years old, but I think some deals might still be had. I don't have any recent quotes because I bought a LOT of components at these prices.

1000 223 cases for $104?. I bought 3000 once fired Lake City cases from Bartlett's Reloading for $75 plus shipping (two years ago). 55 gr bullets by IMI from Wideners for $35/1000, and eight pounds of WCC 844 from Wideners for $49.95. I realize these price quotes are two years old, but I think some deals might still be had. I don't have any recent quotes because I bought a LOT of components at these prices.

Your prices are way out of date. If you can find Lake City Brass, it runs about $70 per 1000 plus shipping. The brass for $104 is Remington and requires no primer pocket prep so it keeps the tool cost down and saves time (and it includes shipping). Powder price I quoted is less shipping and HazMat//Bullet price is today's price and they are going up almost daily. Primers are currently $125 or more in a shop.

The metals market is going wild right now and that reflects on Brass, Bullets, and primers. That is also one reason ammunition prices are up.

Check around and you will see the change just in the last year. For someone starting out in reloading, the prices I quoted are a good guide but they may not be able to find even those prices in MA.

BTW, Bartlett has Lake City advertised at $55 per 1000 but doesn't have any.

RGS, you are paying about double for your 223 brass. Send me a PM if you want a source for once fired indoor range brass.

Right now my issue is one of space. I sold my condo in MA and have been renting a place in NH while I try to find a new house.

Once I move, I'm getting into reloading. I average about $150 to $200 in new ammo (mostly .40 S&W) per month and would love to get that number lower.

This was my issue for a long time. I still bought the press and asked my buddy if I could set it up in his basement next to his press. He didn't mind because I let him use my press when I wasn't there... Which saved him from having to setup two calibers on the same press. And, I would just go over after work on a Friday and crank out a 1000 or so rounds in a short amount of time... He was also nice enough that I would bring my shot brass to work and he would put it in my brass cleaner and let it run for a while. Which he also didn't mind because he could clean a lot more brass with two vibrators.

SO, it might be worth asking someone if you could use some basement space from a buddy that you know...

Back
Top Bottom