• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading area...

I am interested in learning to reload, and want to build a bench and reloading area. Before I make mistakes, want should I do, or not do when designing my work area in regards to reloading.

Todd

Interesting thread.... there are more, type in "reloading bench" in search box on NES...

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46212

-Mike

Thanks for the plug, Mike!

Todd, when you design the bench, make sure the area you have the press mounted is sturdy. All of my presses are bolted through 1" of plywood AND a solid 3 1/2" of wood under that (2x4 on edge). When you first mount your press it may seem fine, but I learned the hard way that it doesn't take long to loosen up if it's not bolted to something solid. Also, figure out whether you're more comfortable sitting or standing when reloading, then design the bench to be the proper height so you won't have to make any odd movements. I prefer to sit, but I have a barstool so my bench is actually the right height for me whether sitting or standing. Remember, you'll get a heck of a lot more reloading done and enjoy it more if it done in comfort.

Plan for storage: Figure out what you think you'll need for room, then double it. Reloading equipment has a way of multiplying when left unattended. Plus you'll accumulate more gear, brass, and components and those will need a home. I've got some shelving built into mine, but have more planned for the future.

Check out the progress on mine so far, and if you have any questions, suggestions, or comments, feel free to fire away!

Jamie

Back
Top Bottom