Reloading 77gr 556x45 Berger/Nosler/SMK load data

Title says it all

I'm playing around with 77gr pills and working up loads

Comparing Berger, Nosler Custtom Comp and Sierra SMK's

Berger 77gr OTM load data seems to be scarce....or my sources are lacking....

All pills are HPBT in profile but the Berger's have a little more meat in the ogive area than the others

Would you all expect load data for each of the three for same powder to be within a couple tenths?

In a perfect world I'd have a couple other powders to work with but....supply being what it is.....I've got H335 and A2230

Anyone happen to have any load data out there for the Berger 77gr OTM's for these two powders?

Ex: Sierra and Hodgdon load data both state 77gr 22.6 is max load for H335
Nosler on the other hand pushes mad load for 77gr out to 23gr

I've pushed the Berger OTM's out to 22.7gr H335 without any ejector marks or signs of pressure on primers........but I'm wondering if anyone has any factory load data for Berger 77gr's

Danke

If you need technical support for Berger, give them a call, ask for Bob Blaine. Bob is a great guy, he will help you out with load data. If there is no data for a powder you are trying to use, they will buy some and report back to you with some numbers. One more time, Berger has excellent customer service. They are a great sponsor as well! ;)

The OTM are great bullets, thicker jacket than the rest. I would have to check my book, I think I was using around 24.5 of Varget. Depending on your application, you might want to wait until you can get a little slower powder than H335.

I don’t use either of your listed powders but I do use A2520, RL15, Varget for my Sierra 77g SMK if you have or can acquire those I’ll be happy to share my data.

I've never used, or heard of anybody using 335 or 2230, so I can't help you with that.

4895, Varget, RE15, 8208, N140: that's the burn rate you want to be in.

PM sent on in-stock powder.

I've heard 8208 XBR and AA2520 are well-suited for the heavies.

Some guys have luck with getting good accuracy out of TAC at max. I haven't, personally. It offers excellent velocity, though, if you can live with 1.25 MOA.

Ramshot offers load data for both .223 and (higher pressure) 5.56 NATO.

.223 load data starts on page 47:

Last edited:

Title says it all

I'm playing around with 77gr pills and working up loads

Comparing Berger, Nosler Custtom Comp and Sierra SMK's

Berger 77gr OTM load data seems to be scarce....or my sources are lacking....

All pills are HPBT in profile but the Berger's have a little more meat in the ogive area than the others

Would you all expect load data for each of the three for same powder to be within a couple tenths?

In a perfect world I'd have a couple other powders to work with but....supply being what it is.....I've got H335 and A2230

Anyone happen to have any load data out there for the Berger 77gr OTM's for these two powders?

Ex: Sierra and Hodgdon load data both state 77gr 22.6 is max load for H335
Nosler on the other hand pushes mad load for 77gr out to 23gr

I've pushed the Berger OTM's out to 22.7gr H335 without any ejector marks or signs of pressure on primers........but I'm wondering if anyone has any factory load data for Berger 77gr's

Danke
What type of accuracy are you getting

I've never used, or heard of anybody using 335 or 2230, so I can't help you with that.

4895, Varget, RE15, 8208, N140: that's the burn rate you want to be in.

I use 335 for bulk 55 grain plinking ammo, meters great through the pro 1000 and I dont expect much from it.
2230 seems to be similar - as its meters well also and is generally available and “cheaper”. Ideal ?

found this if it helps, fwiw and take it as any internet info …..carefully

Last edited:
I use 335 for bulk 55 grain plinking ammo, meters great through the pro 1000 and I dont expect much from it.
2230 seems to be similar - as its meters well also and is generally available and “cheaper”. Ideal ?

found this if it helps, fwiw and take it as any internet info …..carefully
Have you tried it with heavier stuff?

Have you tried it with heavier stuff?
I ran some 69 noslers with it for a few cmp games matches, it held the 10 ring. Thats about all I can say about that.
The pro1000 was all set up so I ran a few hundred of the 69s

Thanks for pointing me to the ramshot data.

I've loaded the Bergers to 21.9g of 2230 and gotten ~.7 moa with no signs of pressure on primers or ejector marks....its a 556 load for sure and they list min as 21.3 and max of 23.7 for the Sierra 77 SMK so I expect I have about a grain before I would likely see signs of pressure based on same weight and roughly similar bullet shape.

I'll probably work up from 21.9 .2 at a time and see how it impacts accuracy and shove a chrono into the mix at some point so long as I dont see any signs of over pressurization

I may try to locate some 2520 or tac and give it a whirl as they are slightly slower burning

I'd go with varget in a heartbeat if I could find any......same with Viht 140 or a couple others
Pretty much run all my 223 with varget
It works and I have some also have 8208

Back
Top Bottom