Reloading 7.5x55 Swiss for K31

In process of loading my first batch of 7.5 using Redding dies and 150G Hornady BT bullets (#3037). These bullets have a definite wider area above the cannalure. If I set bullet at cannalure, (+/-2.86 OAL), this way above suggested OAL of 2.820. I am aware that Swiss K31 have very short leades. At 2.86 bullet seems to touching rifling. If I set at 2.82 bullet will be very deep in case. I dont yet have prepped (drilled) cases to accurately set OAL. Are there other bullets out there that maywork better (have fast taper) than these Hornadys? Otherwise, I'll go with 2.820..........Thanks..... (using Parvi cases, IMR 4064 and WLR primers)..

Drilled

I meant tapped and threaded cases from Hornady (Stony Point) to use with their OAL tool.....(I need to send them two cases, as they are not "stock" items....).

For what it's worth... I file trim my cases with a trim die. They come out 2.18". I load 41.5 gr of Reloader 15 (for 200 yards or less) Cheap bulk-packed Rem 165 gr Core-Lokt SPs work fine, seated so that perhaps the last third of the cannalure is still visible (OAL 2.80"). They chamber and shoot fine 99% of the time. The 168 SMKs over 44 gr of R15 are used for the longer range shooting, set at the same OAL. The pressures are higher because of the deeper seating of the boat-tail, but I've seen no signs that this is an issue.

I do not have to trim more than 2 times over the life of the brass, which is greatly extended because I neck size only. Expect a dozen reloads instead of the 6-7 you get stretching the brass with full-length sizing. You should anneal the shoulders and necks after the 6 though.

JR

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, 8x57...Just mailed two cases to Hornady. Once I have the modified cases I can experiment with different bullets. I also, neck resize. In addition to the Swiss, I also have loaded 7.62x54r, 7.62x39, and 8x57....I use IMR 4064 for all (except 7.62x39 - RL 7)....I just wish it metered better.....By the way, the Pavr (sp?) Swiss cases run short at about 2.174 average............

I use Combined Technology 165gr SPBT bullets. IMR 4320 or 4064. 4320 is more accurate.
I grabbed 600 bullets on clearence for $6.00 per 100 at Midway last year. I'm a NH guy so it is ok. I would make a dummy round! Don't resize the brass, just give it a little squeeze. Insert a bullet past over-all legnth. Chamber the round and the rifling will push it back in the case. Slowly remove the cartridge and measure it, mark the bullet w/ a sharpie. I back off .01 on over-all length and have a great shooting cartridge. jp

Back
Top Bottom