• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Refinishing the ole Mossberg 500

100_0213.jpg

Cant see no holes can ya?
100_0214.jpg

100_0215.jpg

100_0216.jpg

100_0217.jpg

Im pretty good at fingering things. Arent I?

The REAL question is, how did you find a time machine?

- - - Updated - - -

[rofl]

Sorry, I have no idea how to cure the high heat paint. That came out amazing though, good work. It will change after it cures right?

Buy a cheap toaster oven. Try craigslist

Never thought of that. Great advice for sure.

Steve, my dad has been using his hand dryer (the ones found in bathrooms) to cure paint at our hardware store. I think high heat paint cures differently though, it should say it on the can.

The REAL question is, how did you find a time machine?

- - - Updated - - -

[rofl]

Sorry, I have no idea how to cure the high heat paint. That came out amazing though, good work. It will change after it cures right?

Used a different camera........yea thats it a different camera..........you tell anyone i swear to god

Buy a cheap toaster oven. Try craigslist

big enough to hold a shotgun barrel? and plus im cheap i aint buyin shit

What paint did you use?

Rust-Oleum high heat engine paint. good for 2k degrees in flat black. I work at a hardware store so i just ordered a box of it
Never thought of that. Great advice for sure.

Steve, my dad has been using his hand dryer (the ones found in bathrooms) to cure paint at our hardware store. I think high heat paint cures differently though, it should say it on the can.

It says to start at 200 degrees for 1/2 hr then 400 degree 1/2hr then 600 degrees 1/2 hr

I might use the grill and just use one burner and put the parts off to the other side. it might work it might not theres a big **** up curve if i do it though

- - - Updated - - -

Good thing about the spray paint is it supposedly resitant to gasoline and oil. If it can hold up against gas i think it will do a fair job with the occasional gun cleaner. Im not a OCD nazi who cleans all the time.

Don't use your grill. You will be unhappy when grease and grim find there way into the paint. I would use a heat gun. Call the company and find out if it will set air drying?
Some paint just takes a long time to dry. It took at least a week before the air cure guncoat I tried before it stopped leaving finger prints.

Try lacquer thinner, most old finishes contained some lacquer plus its a good solvent. Another trick is to give it a coat of lacquer, let dry, and then strip it again. I refinish a lot of old furniture.

Lacquer thinner works wonders on old crusty milsurp stocks. Made my 1917 look like a brand new gun.

Got the recoil pad and sling nut in

Dont buy Hogue EZ pads they suck they claim they are prefitted but its no where near close. So the metal plate is going back on and i will be getting a grind to fit recoil pad in a week or two.

Also picked up the tru-oil and am just waiting for the first coat dry then gonna apply another coat.

IMG_0015_zpsdd82ccaa.jpg

all done

so here's whats up

The paint dried fine but its still soft even with heat, so no big deal it will hold up fine im not to worried

As i stated before the prefit buttpad didnt fit correctly, still havent gotten another one

also the swivel studd on the front nut, didnt actually need a new nut. Could have just gotten away with a small machine screw stud seeing as there is a hole on the band that i could screw into. whatever **** it i like it

only part i didnt do too well on was the placement of the back swivel studd its just barely off center. you actually have to look quite hard to notice it.

all told i was into the gun about 40$ and a few nights of my time. looks pretty nice the flat black looks almost like a dark park job.

now i just need a sling (im thinking the one with all the shell holders), a shell carrier and a buttpad shell carrier.

and maybe a new recoil pad if i want to be a pussy again

Back
Top Bottom