• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Refinishing an old Mossberg 500

I picked up an old Mossberg 500 for small money a while back. Stock was scratched to hell, rust on the barrel, and wear on the receiver.

The stock in in good shape now - stripped, sanded, stained and varnished. The barrel is sanded free of all rust via steel wool, and the barrel and receiver have been roughed up with 600 grit sandpaper. Based on what I read here, I'm going to go with some appliance spray paint instead of going with duracoat. I'll be degreasing it before spraying.

My question is around the engraving on the receiver. On one side is a retriever, and on the other is a bunch of quail in flight. The engravings are a slightly different color than the receiver. They are a dark grey compared to the black receiver. I can't tell if its just the same color black but the engraving is rough so it looks grey, or if it is actually grey. I like the look either way as it stands out nicely. Should I just paint over the engravings so they are the same color as the receiver, or is there a trick to have some contrast?

Not sure if it would work well but you could try filling the engraving with a wax pencil or China marker? Then paint over it then when its dry clean it out?
Is it actual engraved or laser etched?

Not sure if it would work well but you could try filling the engraving with a wax pencil or China marker? Then paint over it then when its dry clean it out?
Is it actual engraved or laser etched?
Not sure. Here is a pic though
I like your idea of filling it, but I think I will just go over everything.
Tried taking a shot of the stock with the iPad, but the glare from the lights wreck it. Will take a better pic soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom