• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Refinishing a firearm.....Colors?

What's the most common way to add color to an AR15 lower receiver?

What I'm looking to do is after I have it refinished in black I want to make the SAFE in white and the FIRE in red as well as make the logo on the magwell in red. Any suggestions or how-to's to do this? I've googled it but can't seem to find anything on letters/logos.

No kidding? I would have never thought! I'm gonna go fishing through my nephew's crayon box tomorrow night when I'm watching him.[rofl]

Last edited:
This is covered in many gun forums. Go check AR15 forum.

One basic way is to:

1. clean the area

2. apply paint to lettering with an artists brush, keep it as neat as possible but dont worry about overflow at this point

3. after the paint has set up a little but not totally take a clean flat rag dipped in thinner and gently rub the area over the lettering so that you clean the overflow but leaves the paint in the lettering

I use testors model paint with a very tiny brush. Wipe off any excess with a rag dipped in solvent. Comes out great and has held up so far.

I've heard that lacquer stiks from brownells work well.
I want to try this myself...it's just that every time that i go to place a brownells order, I seem to forget to add the stiks to my order.

Oh well, maybe next time.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom