Receiving a gift (gun) out of state: protocol?

O/U

Hi folks,

This spring my father, a Vermont resident, bought me a Benelli 12 ga. for turkey hunting in VT. This was before my LTC A was issued, so the gun is registered to my father and lives with him in VT.

I finally have my LTC A, and I would like to bring this long gun back to MA. What needs to happen to make this transaction 100% legal? I keep hearing different things.

Thanks!

Tom

Depending on whether or not your dad has a MA Non-Resident permit, he either brings it down with him and you go to an FFL and do the transfer, or he brings it to an FFL who ships it to your local FFL - and you then pick it up from the local FFL. Either way, you get to fill out a form 4473 on it.

Fortunately, they don't consider shotguns a danger to consumers so you don't have to worry about the stupid AG regs. [rolleyes]

I know a handgun requires an FFL in both states, but since this is a shotgun, can't a VT FFL do the transfer (so long as it complies with MA law) and then O/U drives it across the border and files an FA-10 within 7 days?

I'm going up to VT this weekend. Could we just go to our local gun shop and do a single transaction there? Is the shipping part necessary? I would like to avoid it.

Tom

I know a handgun requires an FFL in both states, but since this is a shotgun, can't a VT FFL do the transfer (so long as it complies with MA law) and then O/U drives it across the border and files an FA-10 within 7 days?

This is what I assumed would be required.

Tom

ALL long guns can be transfered in ANY state by an FFL (no FTF interstate transactions allowed).

Go up to VT, bring it to a gun shop and do the 4473/NICS. When you come home with it, do an FA-10 as REGISTRATION (instructions on the form).

Enjoy.

NO need to ship or have 2 FFLs involved, just a waste of money!

Sounds good, LenS.

Now, is there a grace period in filing the FA-10 in this situation? For example, I bring the shotgun home on Sunday after doing the 4473/NICS and wait to file the FA-10 on Monday or Tuesday. Is that kosher, or do I need to file the FA-10 before I bring the gun into the state just to be on the safe side.

Sounds good, LenS.

Now, is there a grace period in filing the FA-10 in this situation? For example, I bring the shotgun home on Sunday after doing the 4473/NICS and wait to file the FA-10 on Monday or Tuesday. Is that kosher, or do I need to file the FA-10 before I bring the gun into the state just to be on the safe side.

The timer doesn't start until it comes over the border, so it's up to
7 days after you come back into MA.

-Mike

Your best bet is to get the FA-10 before heading up to VT, fill out the parts that you can without seeing the shottie, then complete it up in VT and drop it in the mail (registered? certified?) once you get back.

I don't think registered or certified mail is needed. Fill it out and mail it regular mail within 7 days of entry. Keep your copy forever for your records.

There is NO need to mail it from VT.

If he left the gun with his Father after doing the NICS/4473, it would still belong to him and NO FA-10 is required. Consider the FA-10 an "import document" in this sort of transaction. ONLY once it crosses the border does the clock start . . . and if that is never (say you leave it at a hunting cabin in a free state) then the clock never starts.

NO need for anything buy First Class Mail. No receipts required. He'll have his copy as proof and if the state never enters it, it's not his problem.

Back
Top Bottom