Re Loaded Brass Vs. Cons?????

Hi all, I am new here. I discovered this site while in search for a new addition to my collection. My name is Ryan, I live in Windham, ME and I own my own repossession company. I am familiar with this style forum (moose river media) as I belong to LetsPlow.com as well as PlowSite.com. I think I actually reconignize a few of you from there. Anyway, Being from Maine an out doorsy kind of family I have been around guns as long as I can remember. Unfortunately, I never got too deep into the technical end, just a casual target practice with close friends. Hence why I am really glad I discovered the forum. I currently own a .380 Star, a Glock 17, an a old 303 Enfield rifle.

Enough with the biography........

I am considering purchasing a 9 mm Beretta Elite II for $700, one owner, 300 rounds through it. She Bought it to go to the range with her LEO husband. While in discussion I was told.......

I should also mention that I reloaded my own ammo for this gun. I never thought it was important to mention...but apparently it was to the last guy that inquired about it.

Now, I haven't replied to this email as I too am ignorant to the cause an effect of re loaded brass.....obviously we all know the pros to it, but what are the cons? What damage or problems could it cause to a firearm??? Also, is$700 a good price range for this gun? Other then my Glock, I have always bought an sold through friends and family.

Thanks for the replies in advance!

Welcome to the forum. I have no idea if that's a good price for the gun - I usually go and look at the completed auctions on gunbroker.com and see what they've sold for.

As for reloads, no problem. Just inspect the gun as you would any other for obvious damage.

You could destroy a gun if you loaded your ammo too hot. Though usually this results in an obviously destroyed gun.

Hence, if the gun is in one piece, its likely they didn't do any damage to it. I'm not really sure what to look for other than cracks. You would need to see the ejected brass as thats where the signs of over pressure first occur.

The way I look at it, is the gun is either blown up or its not. [laugh]

-Mike

Remove the slide from the frame and look for ping marks. If the ammo has a little hot it would leave a ping, silver mark where the blueing is gone. Now if the rails are not dented your ok. If they are pass. It is a 92? $795.00 is MSR price. Nor really a "deal"

Remove the slide from the frame and look for ping marks. If the ammo has a little hot it would leave a ping, silver mark where the blueing is gone. Now if the rails are not dented your ok. If they are pass. It is a 92? $795.00 is MSR price. Nor really a "deal"

I am pretty sure it is a 92G Parabellum......I can make out the Parabellum, but not the rest due to reflection. For some reason I am unable to post pictures here....not sure if I have to post so many times or what.

Definitely inspect the gun before you buy it. I recently bought a Witness .45 from my bro-in-law (see post, 'Glad I caught this!') and it had some damage to it because he and the previous owner fired reloads thru it. It had a hair line fracture behind the recoil spring / guide spring location and was cracked through on the thin part of the ejection port. Thankfully, EAA, who imports the gun, has a lifetime warranty and just sent me a new slide after they inspected the damaged one.

What I found was the bullets he gave me were reloads. I would say, just be careful.

Hey Mods.....whats with the not being able to post pic's........?

Not sure what you mean.... You can insert image URLs nto any post on
NES. If you're talking about uploading images to NES for "storage", you can't do that with a non-green
account, IIRC.

-Mike

ahhh, so I need to sign up for a NES Membership? Got ya. Thanks!

Well, you can post pics as a non-member if you use something like photobucket, etc.

Example:

[ IMG ]http://photobucket.com/blah/blah/blah.jpg[ /IMG ]

(spaces in tags added for illustration)

EG:

dumpster1.jpg

All I did was put in: http://www.ziplink.net/~drgrant/images/dumpster1.jpg in the
box that appears when I push the image button while generating a post.

Doing it this way ends up being better anyways due to limitations in the
board software with uploaded pics.

ETA: When posting images please try to make the size reasonable... eg, use 1024 x 768 or less, that sort of thing.

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom