• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RCBS Dies in Other Presses

JonJ

NES Member
I have a RCBS Rock Chucker set up that I will probably never use. If I do get going in reloading, I'll more than likely get a progressive. I have 2 RCBS 2 Die sets, .308 & .223.
Will I be able to use these 2 die sets with a Dillon or Hornaday progressive?

Yes.

If you're loading rifle ammo, I can guarantee that the Rock Chucker will come in handy. You've got a lot of case prep to do before those will see the progressive press.

Rifle reloading (before they go on the progressive press):

1. Tumble to clean off the grit
  2. Lube
  3. Resize and deprime
  4. De-crimp primer pocket (if needed)
  5. Trim
  6. Tumble again to clean off lube and clean now-exposed primer pocket.
It makes more sense to perform these case prep steps on a single stage.

Now that the cases are prepped, you can put them on the press. Here's the stations as I load them:

1. Universal decapping die to poke any stray tumbling media out of the flash hole.
  2. Prime and charge
  3. Seat
  4. Crimp (optional).

To load on a single stage, perform the above 4 steps in order.

Rifle reloading (before they go on the progressive press):

1. Tumble to clean off the grit
  2. Lube
  3. Resize and deprime
  4. De-crimp primer pocket (if needed)
  5. Trim
  6. Tumble again to clean off lube and clean now-exposed primer pocket.
It makes more sense to perform these case prep steps on a single stage.

Now that the cases are prepped, you can put them on the press. Here's the stations as I load them:

1. Universal decapping die to poke any stray tumbling media out of the flash hole.
  2. Prime and charge
  3. Seat
  4. Crimp (optional).

To load on a single stage, perform the above 4 steps in order.

I've been thinking about sizing, de-priming, and priming on my progressive with one
toolhead, then trimming with my Lyman case trimmer and then tumbling to clean. Then
putting the alternate toolhead on with the other dies, and then continuing with charging,
seating, crimping. Anyone see anything wrong with that. I've got the sizing die on a
seperate toolhead on my 550B and would like to minimize the operations needed to load
the .223 and 30-06 ammo. I do like that idea of the universal decapping die in place of
the sizing die on the alternate toolhead to clean out the flash hole. Does the universal
decapping die impact the sizing operation already completed? If I prime at the same time
as I size and de-prime then I can avoid the universal decapping die operation altogether
as the flash hole would not get filled with media?

Last edited:
The flash hole can fill with media when you tumble them after trimming. That's why I use the universal decapping die. It doesn't affect the sizing as the walls of the die never touch the case.

I have no idea if you'll get tumbling media stuck in your cases if you tumble cases that have been primed.

Yes.

If you're loading rifle ammo, I can guarantee that the Rock Chucker will come in handy. You've got a lot of case prep to do before those will see the progressive press.
I have an old RCBS JR3 that can be pressed into service for case prep.
JonJ, if for some reason you decide you don't want the RockChucker, please let me know. I'm looking for another single stage.

Jamie

Me too, I could use a good single stage press. But the other guys are right. You'll want it if your loading rifle ammo.
Will do guys. I just need to find a cheap L-N-L or 550 first[wink]

Will do guys. I just need to find a cheap L-N-L or 550 first[wink]

Good luck with that.

I got a virtually new 550, w/dies and strong mount, cheap last year. Look on the notice boards at the ranges, now that the WantAdvertiser is gone.

I've been thinking about sizing, de-priming, and priming on my progressive with one
toolhead, then trimming with my Lyman case trimmer and then tumbling to clean. QUOTE]

Hmm, primed brass in a tumbler hitting each other and the possibility of built up static electricity? Plus I would think the media dust/dirt might work its way through the flash hole into the primer cup. Would make me pretty nervous. Has anyone done this?

tumbling

tumbling after priming wont cause trouble if it did the factory would not tumble after loading.big discussion on some of the reloading sites.just opinions no real knowledge.[rofl]

Back
Top Bottom