rant of the day - 11/10/10

FJM25

NES Member
Rant of the day: Why do people think that they can put out a dozen $30 hang on treestands on PUBLIC LAND (state forests) and think they own that area of woods? I have been hunting for over 20 years and have never seen it so bad. You can't walk through any of the state forests on the North Shore without seeing stands hanging in the trees. Some look like they've been there for years. And, if you bump into someone all you hear is "You can't set up there, that’s so and so’s stand." You mean that rusted old Coke can against the tree? Sometimes the idiots are just looking for fight. Really great idea when you’re both standing there with loaded shotguns. Isn't there a law against permanent stands on state land? 30 days only if I remember correctly. I have always used a Summit climber or still hunted and always been extremely courteous to hunters I come across in the woods. I would never intentionally mess up someone’s hunt. Maybe it’s time to be like some of the shitheads out there and say #@&% you – this is my area or maybe it’s time to keep the environmental police on speed dial on the cell phone. Any thoughts?

Rant of the day: Why do people think that they can put out a dozen $30 hang on treestands on PUBLIC LAND (state forests) and think they own that area of woods? I have been hunting for over 20 years and have never seen it so bad. You can't walk through any of the state forests on the North Shore without seeing stands hanging in the trees. Some look like they've been there for years. And, if you bump into someone all you hear is "You can't set up there, that’s so and so’s stand." You mean that rusted old Coke can against the tree? Sometimes the idiots are just looking for fight. Really great idea when you’re both standing there with loaded shotguns. Isn't there a law against permanent stands on state land? 30 days only if I remember correctly. I have always used a Summit climber or still hunted and always been extremely courteous to hunters I come across in the woods. I would never intentionally mess up someone’s hunt. Maybe it’s time to be like some of the shitheads out there and say #@&% you – this is my area or maybe it’s time to keep the environmental police on speed dial on the cell phone. Any thoughts?

I hear you. Some guys are just douche bags. Case in point, I literally just got back from checking a stand that I have close to my house. I was out of town last week and wanted to check the area. Some dbag not only tied my strings up but left 2 menthol cig butts that he put out on my seat. I mean come on, have even an ounce of respect.

Couple years ago up in NH I come across a guy in the woods carrying his 308. I asked him if he knew it was shotgun only in the area and he pointed the f"in thing at me and asked me WTF I was going to do about it. I told him to enjoy the day and left but quick. I thought briefly, as I was retreating, about him having a hunting accident but his firepower was superior.

While at a WMA yesterday, I noticed that each of the birdhouses, put up for nesting birds, all had been recently and directly sprayed with birdshot. Real nice.

I hunt private permission only lands so I put my stands where I want and leave them and dont worry about getting anyone elses panties in a bunch...

Resist the urge to turn douchebag my friend. And don't get the EP's involved!
What goes around comes around.

So I've read these threads, and heard personal anecdotes about people actually stealing treestands. What about ground blinds? I just got one, and plan to go put it out in a likely spot, sometime in the next few days, to give the resident deer population some time to adjust to seeing it there before shotgun season starts after Thanksgiving. Am I likely to have anyone phuck with it?

StevieP - for what it's worth... a buddy and I put a small ladder stand out in Georgetown last year - mid November for shotgun season. By mid December it was gone. It was strapped to a tree.

I hunt on state land and am always worried about my trail cams. I've had them for a few years and none have been stolen. I had one guy check the pics on my SD card on his cell phone though. I caught him on the way out and thought for sure he'd have my cam in his hand. He asked if it was my camera and admitted he looked and it didn't bother me too much.

My climber also has not been F'd with. Cross my fingers. But, I have heard numerous stories of stolen stands in the area.

100% agree with Sheepdog, don't turn to the dark side. We don't need any more yahoos out there. We had a 12pt buck purposely stolen as we let it lay by another party that knew we hit it. The level people stoop to is astounding.

Please don't go over to the "Dark Side" there are enough nitwits hunters out there already. And YES, get the EPO's involved. They have a job and part of that job is assistance in these matters.

Back
Top Bottom