Ranges in NH

So my buddy and I are planning on heading up to New England drag way this weekend and I was curious if non residents of NH would have any issues at a NH range. We were planning on stopping by the range either after or before we ran our truck on the track....Also how difficult is it to buy ammo up there if you are a non resident? I am a rhode island resident and my buddy is a mass resident. My buddy has his LTC and I have a Rhode Island Blue Card

No problems in free states (like NH) for buying ammo, or renting guns, or shooting at ranges, etc. Some places like WalMart and MFL might "card" you for your home state permit, but that's the exception rather than the rule, and those are driven by store policy and not law.

In most of the US you do not need to ask the government permission to have an unloaded gun in your car or go shooting at the range with it, or to buy ammo. Places like MA and RI are anomalies to the norm.

-Mike

Last edited:
So we should be good if we brought our firearms up to NH and wanted to stock up on ammo and stop by the range and get a couple rounds off?

The only potential problem I see from what you said is finding a public range in NH, unless you're talking about MFL or their other facility (can't recall where it is). I know of no true public ranges off the top of my head, but there may be some. That being said, if you're hooking up with someone as a guest at their club, you're good to go as far as the law is concerned.

So we should be good if we brought our firearms up to NH and wanted to stock up on ammo and stop by the range and get a couple rounds off?

Yes. As ScottS states though, there really aren't a lot of "walk on, pay, shoot" ranges in NH. MFL is the only one I know of, unless you have other arrangements.

The only potential problem I see from what you said is finding a public range in NH, unless you're talking about MFL or their other facility (can't recall where it is). I know of no true public ranges off the top of my head, but there may be some. That being said, if you're hooking up with someone as a guest at their club, you're good to go as far as the law is concerned.

I've heard of at least a half dozen out of the way places in the southern end of NH where people drive into sandpits, etc, to shoot guns, etc. The thing is, most people are, rightly so, paranoid about divulging these locations, lest a gate or no trespassing signs start to pop up.

-Mike

I've heard of at least a half dozen out of the way places in the southern end of NH where people drive into sandpits, etc, to shoot guns, etc. The thing is, most people are, rightly so, paranoid about divulging these locations, lest a gate or no trespassing signs start to pop up.

-Mike

Yeah......we just had our favorite 450yd sandpit posted.....now we are on the hunt now..... [sad]

edit:::: on a good note......my 1000th post!!!

Last edited:
Stock up on all the ammo you want while you are here. Sales tax free too!
No one gives a damn what or how much you buy here. Isn't the smell of freedom great!

there are just a few things you need to know. Carrying a loaded firearm concealed on your person is a no no without a NH permit. Carrying a gun loaded in a car is a no no without a NH permit. Open carry is allowed, but use the right to do so wisely.

Some Wal-Marts near the MA border will ask for a drivers license, and if you are a MA resident a FID card or LTC.

MFL asks for permits too if they suspect you are from out of state, which is easy for them to do if you want to rent range time.

I was curious if non residents of NH would have any issues at a NH range.
So long as you are not trespassing and follow range rules, none. Nobody cares where you are from or if you have a license or not.

Also how difficult is it to buy ammo up there if you are a non resident?
As difficult as it is for residents. Take it to the cashier and pay for it.

My buddy has his LTC and I have a Rhode Island Blue Card
Nobody cares about either one because there is no such thing as needing a license to possess, use, or transport firearms in NH, just like in the rest of free America.

Back
Top Bottom