• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range Report: Evaluation of a bulletproof laminated panel! - Lots o' big pics!

55_grain

NES Member
More than a year ago, I won a NES karma for a bulletproof panel! It's been sitting in my basement since.

Here's the thread: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/101524-Winners-Picked-Shoot-em-up-Karma

Here's the material: Bullet Resistant Fiberglass Level 3 UL Listed Panel
IMAG0733.jpg

Per the vendor it is "Bullet resistant fiberglass is a reinforced plastic material consisting of multiple layers of woven roving ballistic grade fiberglass cloth impregnated with a thermoset polyester resin and compressed into rigid flat sheets."
This is the vendor: http://www.pacificbulletproof.com/pr...Adwords&p=0.52

It's supposed to stop the following:
.357 Mag., 158 Gr., 1395 Ft. Sec., JSP
.44 Mag., 240 Gr., 1350 Ft. Sec., SWC
.44 Mag., 240 Gr., 1400 Ft. Sec., SWC

It's about 9x9", and a hefty four pounds or so. So...what should we do with it? Shoot it, of course. [smile][smile][smile]

I don't have access to a .44, or any other kind of hand cannon.

But I do have access to
-> a 9mm with 115-grain FMJ (1150 fps). The standard cartridge of, well, everywhere. [grin]
-> a .45 ACP with 230-grain FMJ (850 fps). Heavy, but slow. [grin]
-> and 7.62x25 in my CZ-52 with 90-grain FMJ's (1450 fps!) Exceptionally fast for a pistol round, these are copper-washed steel and are claimed to push thru class II vests and the PASGT helmet. [shocked]

I put the target at 25 yards, and at a slight angle to decrease the chances of me shooting myself with a riccochet. That would be embarrassing. [hmmm]

9mm first! Bang! OK, that's a hit. [smile]

Then .45ACP. Bang! Er, missed. How embarrassing.[frown] Bang! Missed again. [frown] Bang! That's better. Clearly more practice is needed. Let's go check out the target.

Here it is.
IMAG0734.jpg

The 9mm has cut thru the first layer or so of fiberglass weave, then bounced back to, um, somewhere. Nice.

The .45 FMJ has cut thru a little deeper, and actually mushroomed so nicely that it's firmly stuck in there.

Overall, not much damage, although there is some delamination around the .45

Let's get out the evil NATO-killing commie ammo! Bang! nothing. Bang! nothing. Bang! wtf? Let's go for a walk again.
IMAG0735.jpg

Looks like all three hit, actually pretty close together. [smile] Damage is a little lighter than the 9mm. Bullets are elsewhere.

So...the panel will stop most common handgun rounds, as it should. Guess we'll have to upgrade.

I happened to bring along some 5.56x45 ammo. [grin] Specifically:
Lake City M193 55-grain FMJ and some foreign NATO-stamped M855 62-grain steel core FMJ. We'll be shooting this out a 20" barrel. I also moved the target out to 100 yards.

Bang Bang! Let's go for a walk.
IMAG0742.jpg

Both rounds punched thru like, well, rifle rounds thru "bulletproof" stuff. They kept right on going, and were not recovered.

Here's the back side.
IMAG0743.jpg

Lesson learned here: Don't bring a handgun to a rifle fight!

I didn't bring (or need) the .30-06 AP. But I did bring some 7.5x55 Swiss. If you don't have a gun in this caliber, you should get one. Swiss rifles are accurate like laser beams. [smile] They're ballistically pretty similar to a .308, and they use regular .30-cal bullets. We have one factory FMJ round left, and a couple of my reloaded 165-grain Nosler softpoints. Here's how they compare to the .223's. Good stuff! [smile]
IMAG0744-1.jpg

I'll spare you the bang-bangs and just say that they're all on target. Here's the target:
IMAG0748.jpg

And here's the back. Note how much bigger the exit holes are. [shocked]
IMAG0749.jpg

And it's getting delaminated. Guess it's taken its last bullet.
IMAG0751.jpg

I hope you found this entertaining! I did.

55_grain

Excellent post. The idea of "Bulletproof" is a realtive thing....my theory is that if it won't stop a .30-'06 AP round, it's meerly resistant.

I actually did my own one-shot test. At our club we swithced to steel for the Trap range, and put a layer of 3/4 PT plywood up to prevent bounce-back from the concrete trap house in the event of a ND. I took a cutoff from the project and hit it with Number 7 shot at 15 yards. Zero penetration.

I'll not stand behind it versus 00 Buck, though! [laugh]

Excellent post. The idea of "Bulletproof" is a realtive thing....my theory is that if it won't stop a .30-'06 AP round, it's meerly resistant.

I actually did my own one-shot test. At our club we swithced to steel for the Trap range, and put a layer of 3/4 PT plywood up to prevent bounce-back from the concrete trap house in the event of a ND. I took a cutoff from the project and hit it with Number 7 shot at 15 yards. Zero penetration.

I'll not stand behind it versus 00 Buck, though! [laugh]

But surely just the sound of You racking the shotgun would destroy it right? [wink][smile]

Reps for taking the time to educate and entertain us.
Thanks! [grin]

Anybody know what the pricing runs on this stuff?
I don't know, but it can't be cheap. At 4.9lbs/ft2, a 4x8 sheet should run you about 160 pounds. That's a lot of fiberglass. Probably a good insulator around the house, tho. Think I'll need two layers, at least. [grin]

Cool! thanks for sharing! It looks like you had some fun doing this.
Anything for science!

I wonder how it would handle my 460 Rowland?
The panel is supposed to handle 3 rounds of 240-grain lead SWC's from a .44 @ 1375fps. So I bet it would stop a couple of .460's using lead or JHP's. If you had some good hard FMJ rounds, tho, all bets are off. Either way, I'm not going to stand behind it!

55_grain

Back
Top Bottom