Ramshot ZIP vs N320

I have been considering switching to a faster burn rate powder for one of my 45acp loads. I use a Zero 230gr JHP and am looking for 850fps. I currently use 6.2gr of Vihtavuori N340 for this.

Of the Viht powders, N320 seems like it would be a good choice for this (N310 gets me to 800fps, so I figure N320 should reach 850 with no problem).

One of the things that is great about the Vihtavuori powders is how cleanly they burn. I have heard that Ramshot ZIP is cleaner than W231, but that's not saying much. For those of you who have used ZIP in 45acp, how does it compare to the Vihtavuori powders ?

If it helps, I have used Ramshot True Blue. I thought it was very dirty compared to N340, but recoiled noticeably less. If ZIP's cleanliness is anything like True Blue, I'll go with N320 for sure.

I cannot give you a comparison between the powders you are looking for, but I will give a big +1 for Zip. I have tried about 5 different powders for 45ACP, and I won't change back for anything. It's clean, consistent, and predictable. That's the trifecta as far as powders go in my book.

Are you using a load comparable to what I'm looking for .....a 230gr jacketed bullet at about 850fps ?

What other powders have you tried in 45acp ?

I only reload 200gr SWC, and I have never crono'd my loads. Judging by the data, I would guess it is somewhere close to 900fps.

I have tried bullseye, 700x, unique, universal

VihtaVuori N-320

I like N-320 powder. It is very clean burned. (I have only 9mm Luger, 38spl and 357Rem max guns). There is also new N-32C "Tin Star" powder for CAS-people. It i has low bulk density (less free space in the case). The burning rate between N-320 and N-330. N-32C is good for Pistol and rifle silencer loads

Well, I've been mulling this one over for too long now (long before I posted here), so I finally have a pound of each on the way. I'll get to compare them side by side. I expect the N320 to work just fine. It will be interesting to see how clean the ZIP is compared to the N320. If ZIP performs pretty much like W231, but is much cleaner, I don't know why more 45 shooters aren't all over it. I guess people get set in their ways.

Well, I've been mulling this one over for too long now (long before I posted here), so I finally have a pound of each on the way. I'll get to compare them side by side. I expect the N320 to work just fine. It will be interesting to see how clean the ZIP is compared to the N320. If ZIP performs pretty much like W231, but is much cleaner, I don't know why more 45 shooters aren't all over it. I guess people get set in their ways.

Please post your findings here, I'm interested to see what you find. I would suspect that the local availability of Ramshot powders as opposed to powders from the "big names" has a lot to do with having less of a following.

I finally got a chance to chrono my test loads with the N320 and ZIP today. It was about 50 deg F and the chronograph was 10 feet from the muzzle. All loads were with Zero 230gr JHP loaded to COL of 1.21". SD's with ZIP were in the upper teens, and in the mid to upper 20's with N320.

N320:

4.7gr 746fps
4.9gr 772fps
5.1gr 806fps
5.3gr 848fps

ZIP:

5.3gr 773fps
5.5gr 806fps
5.7gr 831fps
5.9gr 855fps

The 5.9gr load of ZIP showed some firing pin swipe marks on the primers, but all the other loads looked normal. The ZIP definitely burned cleaner than W231, but as expected, the N320 was the cleanest by far. ZIP looks and meters very much like W231. It is just a bit lighter in color than 231. Accuracy with both powders was excellent. I always prefer the Vihtavuori powders, but there was really nothing to complain about with the ZIP either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom