Questions about a drop in auto sear AR-15

Ok, so I finally got my green card after 6 months of waiting and am now ready to let the buying spree begin. Got 4 on my list. # 1 is a Powder Springs Mac-10 in .45, I plan on getting the open bolt 9mm upper and mag well adapter too. Seems like a good deal to have essentially 2 mg's in that price point. # 2 is a 1928 Tompson made by auto ordinance. Always wanted a Tommy Gun and these seem to be reasonably priced when compared to others (I am aware that the early production ones are considered better quality, so that's my plan) # 3 is a registered HK trigger pack. I already own an SP89 that I converted to an SBR, it's also got the FA BCG and 4 position lower. Just needs the auto sear. # 4 is a DIAS. So here's my question regarding the DIAS, the reason I want it is because I have two AR's that I want to make MG's. One is an ares defense belt fed AR and the other is a custom built AR that is currently an SBR. I have two questions, 1. When purchasing a Dias, do you need to register a host gun for it? If so can you only register 1 gun? # 2. Obviously in order to make and AR fire full auto there are parts other than the auto sear that need to be installed such as the trigger group and selector. If I installed those parts into both guns and have a Dias, obviously the Dias can only be in 1'gun at a time. What then happens to the other gun? Does the ATF consider that a MG too even though there is no auto sear in the gun?

Thanks

I am only trolling but the AR-15 is more than just a drop in sear for FA. Cekim showed me the innards of his M-16 there aren't many similarities when put side by side.

Best of luck, I had a dream of owning an FA that were dashed by reality and location.

I am aware. I indicated that in my question. In addition to the sear, you need a FA bolt carrier, hammer, trigger, disconnector, and selector. All of which I either already have or will get once I get the sear.

I thought the whole point with getting a registered sear was that you could move it from gun to gun without doing paperwork.

...I have two questions, 1. When purchasing a Dias, do you need to register a host gun for it? If so can you only register 1 gun? # 2. Obviously in order to make and AR fire full auto there are parts other than the auto sear that need to be installed such as the trigger group and selector. If I installed those parts into both guns and have a Dias, obviously the Dias can only be in 1'gun at a time. What then happens to the other gun? Does the ATF consider that a MG too even though there is no auto sear in the gun?

Thanks

1. No the sear is the registered "MG" not the hosts. You don't (and can't) register the hosts.

2. This would be a grey area, you are probably ok under the Thompson-Center ruling, but there is really very little reason to venture into this grey area. Just keep your MG parts all in the same lower, there is very little reason to be swapping lowers, just change out uppers when you want something different. If for some reason you want to swap lowers, take the 5 minutes to swap out all the internals. Those 5 minutes will keep you out of the grey...

M16 is the lego of the NFA world...
P1010991_zpse065f2e6.jpg

P1010994_zpsac2fd8d0.jpg

P1010993_zpsb07f65b3.jpg

P1010992_zps6081ce47.jpg

You are not making MG's that is illegal. The RDIAS is the the MG, the parts installed would need to be removed once the RDIAS is removed from the host weapon. No, there is no reason to register platform host unless the RAIDS is married to the platform. The same holds true for the SBR.

Are RDIAS significantly cheaper then full on MG's? What are the drawbacks to going this route, sacrifice a lower for a little machining?

RADIS are running about $18k-$25k if you can find one. Non-colt RR about $14k-$16k. Colt 16's about $18k-$25k. RADIS is best for storage and flexibility.

Are RDIAS significantly cheaper then full on MG's? What are the drawbacks to going this route, sacrifice a lower for a little machining?

I've seen rdias for around 10K once in a blue moon.
All you need is a full auto bolt and m16 trigger/hammer etc .

Great thing about them you can easily move them to any ar 15 with a lower rear shelf .
Just open your ar up and if the top of the safety is higher then the area where the rear take down pin is your good to go. Lowers are hit or miss when it comes to this. You could have some one mill the little section out in 10mins so you can toss one in.

One thing about dias is the part that gets hit by the bolt and let's go of the hammer, over time wears out. It's not the searlized part so , Push pin out .have a shop make you one for 10-15$ and ur back in the game. My dads friend replaced his once in the 20 plus years he's had it.

They last a lot longer then a lighting link dose and your not stuck with a sp1 bcg and safe/full only. True there's a away to make a lighting link select fire but it's not worth it .

Dias are also a lot easier to adjust the timing vs a m16 since you can shim the dias pretty easily. Most don't realize you can't just toss a upper on a m16 lower and it's safe to shoot.

For me id rather get a rdias then a m16 lower. cost is less and if I want to bring that ar15 out of state I can just swap the trigger out.
Plus with a dias you can get a 3 round burst trigger, a full auto trigger or one that's safe semi full and burst . Most wouldn't want to mod a m16 to be able to use this trigger . Buy when you only paid 60-130 for a ar15 lower sanding off the selector stops won't make you lose sleep.

Last edited:
I've seen rdias for around 10K once in a blue moon.
All you need is a full auto bolt and m16 trigger/hammer etc .

Great thing about them you can easily move them to any ar 15 with a lower rear shelf .
Just open your ar up and if the top of the safety is higher then the area then the rear take down pin your good to go. Lowers are hit or miss when it comes to this. You could have some one mill the little section out in 10mins so you can toss one in.

One thing about dias is the part that gets hit by the bolt and let's go of the hammer over time wears out. It's not the searlized part,
Push pin out have a shop make you one for 10-15$ and ur back in the game.
They last a lot longer then a lighting link dose and your not stuck with a sp1 bcg and safe/full only. True there's a away to make a lighting link select fire but it's not worth it .

Dias are also a lot easier to adjust the timing vs a m16 since you can shim the dias.

For me if rather get a rdias then a m16 lower cost is less and if I want to bring that ar15 out of state I can just swap the trigger out.
Plus with a dias you can get a burst trigger a full auto trigger or ones that's safe semi full and burst . Most wouldn't want to machine a registered m16 to be able to use this trigger . Buy when you only paid 60-130 for a ar15 lower sanding off the selector stops won't make you lose sleep.

What???

Back
Top Bottom