Question RE LTC Restrictions

Forgive me if this question has been covered elsewhere – I combed the forum and found many threads discussing LTC Restrictions, but I couldn’t find one that addresses my specific question.

I suppose my general question is, “What ARE the restrictions on a Mass Class A “Target” LTC?” I was TOLD what the restrictions were by the issuing detective, but I’ve been given misinformation by LEOs before. They did not give me anything in writing, and I cannot find anything in the law about what exactly these restrictions entail. If anyone can tell me where I can find these restrictions explained in an official capacity, that would be greatly appreciated.

My specific concern and reason for my question is related to transportation. The issuing LEO told me my license allows me to transport the gun to and from the range only, and that I’m not allowed to make any stops or detours on the way. He told me that if I go to the range and stop for lunch on the way home with a gun in the trunk, I’m in violation of my license and at risk of <insert your favorite LEO threat>. This seems a little extreme to me.

For instance, I like to go to the range after work. It takes 5 minutes to go from the office to the range, but an hour to go from the office, home, then to the range. So storing the gun in my car (unloaded, locked container, etc) while at work is illegal?

Or what about taking a friend shooting? Do I have to drive to his house, pick him up, then drive back home to get the gun before I can go to the range (and repeat on return trip)? Obviously we can’t stop at McDonalds on the way home until I drop off the gun, correct?

Or what about stopping at the gun shop on the way to the range to pick up ammo? Or taking it to a gun show to sell, or fit it for a holster? Or when my fiancé calls and asks me to pick up a loaf of bread on the way home? Do I have to tell her, “sorry, I have to come home and drop off my .22 because stopping at the grocery store with my Ruger in the trunk will get me banned from ever holding an LTC again?

Also, a related question has come up – someone had written that with a Target restriction, it’s a violation to carry in the home or on your property. Are there also restrictions on how I keep my guns in my home? I keep a loaded shotgun accessible when I’m home – is this in violation of my license? Or should someone break into my house or intrude on my property, am I restricted from accessing and loading one of my guns if the intruder isn’t holding up a paper target?

Thanks for my help, and for tolerating my blind ignorance to Mass gun laws…

The restrictions do have force of law. Carrying on a restricted license is not the same as carrying without a license, but it still is verboten. I believe it is a fine and the Chief can revoke your license.

My reading of the regulations was that you could store your unloaded guns in the trunk of your car all of the time if you want to, as long as they are cased and the trunk is locked, no matter what the restrictions on the LTC. There was nothing at all in the regulations about restricting transportation only to range trips.

Carrying a handgun or uncased rifle is not allowed of course.

You're right, this one hasn't been addressed before here, although restrictions have been.

- ONLY the issuing authority knows what his restrictions mean! That is the problem with restrictions, the same words will mean different things to different people. That is why Chief Ron Glidden attempts to educate other chiefs and licensing authorities to ONLY ISSUE LTC-A/ALP!! But it's like herding cats, they each like to add their own twist to it.

- So, you will never find in writing what these different restrictions mean!

- As stated above, the restrictions do have "force of law".

- Additionally, the chief can revoke a LTC at any time, for any reason he wants to screw you.

- The law specifically allows one to transport guns/ammo in a "locked case" or a "locked trunk" whether one has a FID, LTC-A or LTC-B, regardless of restrictions. HOWEVER, your chief has made it clear to you that if you are ever caught with the gun anywhere except going directly to/from the range, he will screw you. He has the legal right to do that and to revoke your LTC forever.

I'd be looking to move if I were you and you could do so without major financial harm.

The SHORT answer is you cannot carry on a "Target" license.

Umm, you might want to read his post:

My specific concern and reason for my question is related to transportation. The issuing LEO told me my license allows me to transport the gun to and from the range only, and that I’m not allowed to make any stops or detours on the way. He told me that if I go to the range and stop for lunch on the way home with a gun in the trunk, I’m in violation of my license and at risk of <insert your favorite LEO threat>. This seems a little extreme to me.

I don't see anything in that that refers to him "carrying". Maybe you're reading this differently.

See my response to him and see if you disagree with anything that I stated.

Scrivener has it in a nutshell. For the most part so long as you comply with the safe storage and proper transport laws and don't have any incidents the only thing that will really get you in trouble is Concealed Carry.

That said, please note that regardless of what the CLEO had in mind when he wrote that restriction, it is the interpretation by the arresting officer, DA, and Court that will decide your fate if you found yourself having to deal with it.

One really sticky area would be hunting for example.

I wonder why these CLEOs keep using such idiotic things like 'Target' instead of something like "No Concealed Carry" if that is really what they mean?

On Further thought, the issuing officer's comments seem fairly restrictive. But without that in writing I can't see how it would get you anything but loss of license.

Last edited:
LenS is right - I'm not asking about carrying, I'm asking about transporting. The issuing LEO said the restriction on my license means the only time I can transport (locked, in the trunk, unloaded, etc, etc) is when I'm going directly to and from a gun range. I'm thinking that is so stringent, it's got to be BS. But I've never seen the details of these restrictions written down, and I want to know where I can find them and what exactly they say.

ONLY the issuing authority knows what his restrictions mean!

you will never find in writing what these different restrictions mean

So if what LenS is saying is the case (which it may very well be), how do they enforce this restriction, and how do I make sure I stay compliant? And what stops them from coming up with some other stupid BS rule without telling me?

Or am I just being paranoid? Am I fine driving around with a gun in the trunk if I'm not going directly to and from the range, so long as I'm not carrying concealed?

And what about the bit regarding carrying in my home?

Seeing as how the issuing Chief is the only one who knows what's in his head, write him a letter with all your questions.

Umm, you might want to read his post:

THIS part?

I suppose my general question is, “What ARE the restrictions on a Mass Class A “Target” LTC?”

Which is, of course, the question I answered and he has subsequently altered.

I would say the officer's edict - transport only to/from the range - is crap, but that's just because I'm such a warm, fuzzy guy.

I would say that transport to/from a gun show, a dealer or a smith would be covered. On the other hand, ANY form of carrying anyplace OTHER than the firing line of a formal range would be pushing the envelope.

As has been noted, however, the restriction means whatever the cop wants it to mean at that moment in time. Proceed accordingly.

Last edited:
Procedure if you are ever stopped or challenged is that the officer at the scene can ask the dispatcher to call the issuing PD to inquire "what does this restriction mean" or "did you know that livinwatertown did xxxx". At that point it can go either way.

It's up to the issuing authority to take "administrative action" (revocation). The officer that stops you would only be interested in whether to prosecute or not (less likely).

How will anyone ever find out that you were transporting where your chief didn't want you to? What if your car is stolen/broken into? You file a police report and report the guns stolen, your own PD finds out and revokes your LTC!

Do PDs talk to each other? You betcha. I know of very specific cases and my info came from 3 different chiefs (no, Ron Glidden was NOT one of them).

I suppose you can't transport your guns from the store to your house, either, or from your house to UPS or a 'smith.

Move. Even Boston doesn't restrict like that.

Seeing as how the issuing Chief is the only one who knows what's in his head, write him a letter with all your questions.

That would seem like the gentlemanly thing to do but I'm not sure it is prudent in this case.

Consider that when I applied for my LTC I was verbally quizzed about various laws and regs. Since I completed the state required course the licensing authority thought I should know the answers to these questions. So had I asked such questions, I would have been deemed unsuitable for the LTC, which was of course issued restricted.

In my opinion, you really should consult a lawyer before firing off a letter to this chief. I think it's a shame that a citizen would have to consult a lawyer before talking to the chief and certainly not all chiefs would require such actions. Yet, the reality is we live in a 'may' issue state. So most likely, in this chief's eyes you already have something of priviledge you should be thanking him for.

It sounds like your chief is a real piece of work... I hope I don't have to deal with all those kinds of restrictions when I get my interview [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom