question on LTC application

okay, I am applying on my birthday for my ltc but on my birthday my drivers lisence expires... would i need to first to the rmv and renew my drivers lisence and get an updated "over 21" drivers lisence or can i apply with my "old" under 21 (expired on that day) lisence that says on it "under 21 until 3/5/2008" any ideas??

and if I go to the rmv will i get my new lisence the same day?

thanks for any input.

I wouldnt think you'd have to wait for an over 21 id

you wont get a new id same day you get a temp id 1st

just hold up its not that far away anyway.. get all your ids and papers in order

I think you would get one of those paper temporary licenses, not a real one right away.

Call the chief or licensing officer and ask the best course of action, you "should" be ok with the paper one, but then again a phone call will save you the trouble.

okay, I am applying on my birthday for my ltc but on my birthday my drivers lisence expires... would i need to first to the rmv and renew my drivers lisence and get an updated "over 21" drivers lisence or can i apply with my "old" under 21 (expired on that day) lisence that says on it "under 21 until 3/5/2008" any ideas??

and if I go to the rmv will i get my new lisence the same day?

thanks for any input.

Why would you need your driver's license to get an LTC? Your birth date is a matter of record; the LTC app asks about your driver's license # just as a way of checking residency. I would apply for the new driver's license only because you will get that much faster.

OH - I do hope you are NOT using your SSN for your driver's license number as well.

OH - I do hope you are NOT using your SSN for your driver's license number as well.

I believe states are no longer allowed to use SSNs for driver's license numbers, as part of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004.

Ah, yes, here it is.

Sec 7214:

"[...] Any State or political subdivision thereof (and any person
acting as an agent of such an agency or instrumentality), in the
administration of any driver’s license or motor vehicle registration
law within its jurisdiction, may not display a social security account
number issued by the Commissioner of Social Security (or any
derivative of such number) on any driver’s license, motor vehicle
registration, or personal identification card (as defined in section
7212(a)(2) of the 9/11 Commission Implementation Act of 2004),
or include, on any such license, registration, or personal identification
card, a magnetic strip, bar code, or other means of communication
which conveys such number (or derivative thereof).’’

Last edited:
I believe states are no longer allowed to use SSNs for driver's license numbers, as part of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004.

Ah, yes, here it is.

Sec 7214:

"[...] Any State or political subdivision thereof (and any person
acting as an agent of such an agency or instrumentality), in the
administration of any driver’s license or motor vehicle registration
law within its jurisdiction, may not display a social security account
number issued by the Commissioner of Social Security (or any
derivative of such number) on any driver’s license, motor vehicle
registration, or personal identification card (as defined in section
7212(a)(2) of the 9/11 Commission Implementation Act of 2004),
or include, on any such license, registration, or personal identification
card, a magnetic strip, bar code, or other means of communication
which conveys such number (or derivative thereof).’’
Its an option, in Mass
I was at the DMV in Boston last year with someone receiving their MA license, and the person at the Registry asked them if they wanted their SSN or a State ID#

Its on the application also, applicant chooses which one they prefer.

Its an option, in Mass
I was at the DMV in Boston last year with someone receiving their MA license, and the person at the Registry asked them if they wanted their SSN or a State ID#

Its on the application also, applicant chooses which one they prefer.

If you don't want to believe the federal law I quoted above, how about a quote from the current MA driver's handbook:

"You no longer have the option of using your SSN as your license / ID number, due to the
Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004. The RMV license system now
automatically assigns a computer generated number, beginning with an "S," as a license /
ID number."

Last edited:
If you don't want to believe the federal law I quoted above, how about a quote from the current MA driver's handbook:

"You no longer have the option of using your SSN as your license / ID number, due to the
Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004. The RMV license system now
automatically assigns a computer generated number, beginning with an "S," as a license /
ID number."

tell that to my college when I wanted to change my ID number in 2004. They wouldnt let me until I raised hell. Why the hell would I WANT to use my SSN for my ID?

bastardos.

ID number."
Well

as apparent and shown on this forum, just in the firearm laws alone, whats written Mass Law, and whats told by the people employed and authorize to administer those laws in Mass are usually two different things

this is what the application looked like
( RMV Application for Drivers License )
second line ask: Do you want a random state assigned number for your license number ( instead of your social security number ) ?

I just visited the RMV official site and see they have a new revised application dated August 07.

just telling you of our experience with the Mass employee. ;)

Last edited:
as apparent and shown on this forum, just in the firearm laws alone, whats written Mass Law, and whats told by the people employed and authorize to administer those laws in Mass are usually two different things

What's your point? That because the RMV worker you overheard didn't know what they were talking about it's not true? [rolleyes] You said, "Its an option, in Mass". It isn't. Not according to federal law, not according to MA regulations, and not according to the application you just linked to. End of story. Why are we still discussing this?

What's your point? That because the RMV worker you overheard didn't know what they were talking about it's not true? [rolleyes] You said, "Its an option, in Mass". It isn't. Not according to federal law, not according to MA regulations, and not according to the application you just linked to. End of story. Why are we still discussing this?

right

why are we still discussing this ?

I made my point and provide link to my source

end of story.

Back
Top Bottom