Question on blaze orange

First year hunter right here and I have a question, When I go out for muzzleloader season I know I need 500 sq" of orange when i'm walking through the woods. If I am stalking on the ground, can I take the orange off when I stop and wait against a stump?

First year hunter right here and I have a question, When I go out for muzzleloader season I know I need 500 sq" of orange when i'm walking through the woods. If I am stalking on the ground, can I take the orange off when I stop and wait against a stump?

Why, Get the camo blase orange and leave it on.

- - - Updated - - -

Hunter Orange: No person shall hunt during the pheasant or quail season on public shooting grounds or WMAs where pheasant or quail are stocked without wearing a “hunter orange” cap or hat except while night-hunting for raccoons or opossums, or while hunting waterfowl from a blind or boat. During the period when it is legal to hunt deer with a shotgun, all hunters, except waterfowl hunters hunting within a blind or from a boat, must wear, in a conspicuous manner on chest, back, and head, a minimum of 500 square inches of “hunter orange” clothing or material. During the muzzleloader season, all deer hunters must comply with the 500 sq. inch hunter orange requirement.

No, you are still hunting and it must stay on. More important to make slow movements than to cover the blaze.

Not a smart choice. I cover my pack with a cheap vest when i move from location to location. I don't want it to cover the vest I'm wearing with it, so it wears one too.

No, you are still hunting and it must stay on. More important to make slow movements than to cover the blaze.
+1

last fall I had 3 skippers walk within 10 feet of me during shotgun season, I was leaning up against a tree in an orange coat. They stomped a few times trying to get a reaction but I didn't move. Eventually they decided I wasn't a threat and moved on.

Leave it on also deer dont see the way we do... blaze orange is not that bright to them avoid blue and yellow

Make sure that you wear a blaze orange hat; it is required. If you read the regulation it says: All hunters during shotgun deer season and deer hunters during primitive firearm season must wear at least 500 square inches of Hunter Orange on their chest, back, and head.

My pack also wears a hunter orange vest as well when I am moving.

Bob

Dude just wear the orange......that way you don't get shot. [smile] The only time I won't wear orange when hunting is for turkey......those little bastards can actually see orange......and I still worry that some dumb bastard is gonna be walking thru the woods and take a shot at my decoys and frag my ass. That is the reason for this reg :"Use of electronic calls, dogs, bait, and driving turkeys is prohibited".....not supposed to drive turkey because nobody wears orange during that season and you can't see the other hunters. Bottom line IMO......unless you are hunting gobblers or in a blind for waterfoul I'd keep the orange on.

Last edited:
yeah I would leave it on too. I am not sure the rules, but thought the camo blaze orage was not allowed.

One thing I do is to wash the orange in a non-flourescent hunting detergent. It strips off much of the fluorescent shine of the blaze orange. The deer, with full ultraviolet sight, really see the fluorescent shine.

Turkey...I wear the blaze orange in and out, and then take it off when in-position. Just make sure you are NOT wearing other colors, like red,white,etc. There are cases where hunters here were shot at when he pulled out a red handkerchief to blow his nose! Turkey hunting it is allowed to not wear orange....otherwise we would not be able to ever get close to one

Last edited:
If I'm moving in or out of the woods in the dark I light up a small flashlight, just to ID myself. The little lights that clip onto your hat are great.

yeah I would leave it on too. I am not sure the rules, but thought the camo blaze orage was not allowed.

One thing I do is to wash the orange in a non-flourescent hunting detergent. It strips off much of the fluorescent shine of the blaze orange. The deer, with full ultraviolet sight, really see the fluorescent shine.

Turkey...I wear the blaze orange in and out, and then take it off when in-position. Just make sure you are NOT wearing other colors, like red,white,etc. There are cases where hunters here were shot at when he pulled out a red handkerchief to blow his nose! Turkey hunting it is allowed to not wear orange....otherwise we would not be able to ever get close to one

Camo Blaze Orange is legal in MA according to this:
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/safety/docs/US_Hunter_Orange_Requirements.pdf

I could not find a mass abstract that officially states the same though.

Ask the lady who got shot by the trooper's muzzle loader....
Wear it in camo as deer cant see the color...

Back
Top Bottom