Question: Medical Disqualification in MA

What medical reasons beside being instituted in a mental hospital are considered a disqualification under Mass laws ?

Can a teenager, 15 years old, be disqualified from getting a Hunters Ed Certificate if they have ADHD ? or from hunting ?

how about ADD ?

Are adults with ADD or ADHD disqualified from possessing handguns ?

Are adults with ADD or ADHD disqualified from possessing handguns ?

Just a side note: There is no formal diagnosis of "ADD" in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. There is only Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, which may or may not show signs of hyperactivity.

The more compelling question is whether the applicant was committed for treatment.
In this instance

the teen, is very quiet, anti-social, not Hyper, has short term memory issues
The person may forget something you just told him or read to him, but 3 hours later he'll give you specific details about what you said or read to him.
Some type of delayed memory I guess, so some school officials last week suggested to have him tested for ADHD
so, no commitment for treatment (yet)

In my experience as a paramedic, an involuntary hospitalization generally results from suicidal ideation, homicidal ideation, and inability to exercise judgement to the extent it puts oneself or somebody at risk. An example might be that one is out of touch with reality, or hearing voices, or seeing things that put onself in danger - seriously wanting, intending, or planning to kill or hurt someone.

I don't think something like ADHD which is so commonly diagnosed and treated in perfectly sane and productive kids is at issue here - I don't think anyone has ever been confined for this, have they??

In this instance

the teen, is very quiet, anti-social, not Hyper, has short term memory issues
The person may forget something you just told him or read to him, but 3 hours later he'll give you specific details about what you said or read to him.
Some type of delayed memory I guess, so some school officials last week suggested to have him tested for ADHD
so, no commitment for treatment (yet)

Be very careful about any "diagnosis" of ADHD. Such a "diagnosis" may come down to a questionnaire filled out by teachers. I think that "ADHD" is often a clinical term for that condition of life we once called "boyhood". Boyhood is NOT a mental illness.

Know who is evaluating the boy, what their credentials are, and their methodology.

However, there MAY be some real issues, and you need to educate yourself about Autism and PDD issues. If there ARE real developmental problems here, you may be confronting something that will be determined to be on the autism spectrum. And I won't try to be an armchair psycholigist on that ... just a heads up about some language you may hear, if you haven't already.

Good luck, man.

Thanks for the heads-up theGringo

I'm going to suggest to them to talk to a private physician first.

Thats a good move. But realize that the school district won't pay for private services, in all likelihood. It will most likely be incumbent upon you to provide private the medical/psychological services needed to fully and accurately evaluate the boy.

It helps if you have a good health insurance plan, and a really good pediatrician or family doctor.

Otherwise, be informed about what public services are available to you.

There ARE people who care. Find them.

Back
Top Bottom