Question about USPSA matches from a total beginner

I'm completely new with USPSA matches, and this coming Sunday is one of the few monthly matches at Harvard that I can make. What do I need to do? Is there a registration beforehand or do I just go there and do it there on Sunday? How much ammo do I need to bring? What else should I bring?

There are more experts and regulars than I but what are you shooting? If Production- make sure you have at least 4 belt mag pouches, good holster, gun and at least a couple hundred rounds of ammo. (Eye and ear protection too of course) If you don't have 4 mag pouches you'll just need to keep a couple in your pocket. I plan on attending as well and am looking forward to it. These guys run great matches. No registration needed. I'm sure someone else will post more details.

I've got two double mag pouches and will be using my S&W M&P40.

How many is a "couple hundred"?

How long of a day is it?

I've got two double mag pouches and will be using my S&W M&P40.

How many is a "couple hundred"?

How long of a day is it?

I don't have all the details but each stage is usually 20-30 rounds. Say 25 ave +/-. If they do 6 stages that 150 rounds. If so at least 200 rounds to bring... for extra shots, possible reshoots, etc. I thought I saw I post that the stage may be shorter because they just ran a rifle match last week. Your M&P should be production so we get to compete. [wink]

Production is stock factory guns with very limited mods, trigger job and different sights is about it. you run 10 round mags and are scored minor, so shooting all "A"s is very important

You want to have all your mags full for every stage, you never know when you are going to need them all. So if you have 5 mags 10 rounds year, 6 stage.

Show up at 8:45, walk the stages with some one that is experienced, sign in at 9am, get your gear ready and meet your squad, Tell them you are a new shooter and they will make sure you are well taken care off.

Make sure you know the safety rules and the commands beforehand

Don't go too crazy reading the rule book. The RO's will answer all your questions if you let them know you are a newbie at the beginning of a match.

The most important things you can do:

Make sure you have a good quality holster, at least four mags, and four mag pouches (something as inexpensive as Uncle Mikes will get the job done - they are good quality and safe). Make sure you can draw, reholster, load, and reload your pistol, safely. Never put your finger in the trigger guard when moving or reloading. Don't break the 180 rule.

Finally: Have fun! USPSA is a great sport!

PS: Watch all competitors - you will learn from everyone.

I've got the equipment and have done one practice, so I've got an idea of what I'm doing. I'll bring six mags, holster, pouches, M&P40, and maybe 250 rounds... plus eyes and ears and that should pretty much do it, right? Maybe a hat...

My M&P has a Burwell 3.5 pound job (the standard job, not the competition job) on it. Is that production?

I think you could shoot it in Limited/Limited 10... but that isn't something you should do IMO. Stick with production... that's really what division that should be in. I'm assuming you have 10 round mags.

You can shoot in either limited 10 or production with your setup. Production is what I would recommend. Honestly, the division you choose won't make any difference for your first few matches. Just come to the match and have an awesome time. Be safe and try to learn from the experienced shooters. Like Supermoto said show up at 8:45 and everyone there will help you out. 250 rounds should be more than enough for sure.

With the M&P in .40 S&W, production isn't a good spot. Limited 10 is appropriate and shoot major caliber. Should you have full capacity mags, shoot limited. In limited, you will give up some mag capacity to those shooters that have been playing the game longer.
Go and have fun, that's the important thing.

I was at a match about a month ago and someone said something about bullet weight and velocity, I would like to get into the matches as well using a Glock 22 .40, can anyone elaberate on what they were talking about, had something to do with power factor I know that much..

I was at a match about a month ago and someone said something about bullet weight and velocity, I would like to get into the matches as well using a Glock 22 .40, can anyone elaberate on what they were talking about, had something to do with power factor I know that much..

power factor for Major is 165, minor is 125. Its the weight of the bullet in grains x the speed in fps, then divide by 1000

180gr needs to go 916 fps to make major. but most will load to 170 pf to leave room for error

The is really only an issue at a Major match when you have a chrono stage

With the M&P in .40 S&W, production isn't a good spot. Limited 10 is appropriate and shoot major caliber. Should you have full capacity mags, shoot limited. In limited, you will give up some mag capacity to those shooters that have been playing the game longer.
Go and have fun, that's the important thing.

Can't have regular capacity mags in MA.

If I go to a Practice on wed, will they chrono the ammo or not? Or do they do that at the matches?

Someone may have a chrono at Wed practice, but usually only before a Major match.

I have yet to go to a local match were they chrono... of course Dan Hurley may read this and set one up for the match. :)

Either way, if you shoot all "A"s it doesn't matter

Don't worry about it.

Last edited:
I've got the equipment and have done one practice, so I've got an idea of what I'm doing. I'll bring six mags, holster, pouches, M&P40, and maybe 250 rounds... plus eyes and ears and that should pretty much do it, right? Maybe a hat...

My M&P has a Burwell 3.5 pound job (the standard job, not the competition job) on it. Is that production?

Go to the match with the gear you have. Shoot Limited 10. Find a Harvard Staff Member and ask them to assign you a Mentor for the day. You won't regret it. Someone to ask questions and someone to give you a hand is a big thing at your first match.

You will have a great time at Harvard. Great match, great group, and always very helpful. I kinda miss shooting there. [sad]

You will have a great time at Harvard. Great match, great group, and always very helpful. I kinda miss shooting there. ---RGS
+1

Respectfully,

jkelly

With all due respect to Dan S and RGS you're better off in Production.

A M&P 40 is a very competitive Production gun. If you reload, load minor. If you don't reload, shoot a light load, like Wolff. The larger diameter of the 40 will give you an extra point or two on a perf shot over 9mm and you won't wrestle with the gun as much. Theoretically you can focus more on the match, as opposed to shooting mechanics (nothing wrong with mechanics - but there will be a lot to take in at the match Sunday). Shoot Production, it's competitive locally and nationally so you can gauge your performance.

As far as Limited 10 is concerned (I'll put my helmet on here); At big matches you'll get your butt kicked by guys shooting SV and STI Limited guns loading 10 rounds. In the 2007 Limited 10 Nationals, 7 of the top ten shot SV/STI platforms. The M&P is not the desired competitive platform in Limited 10 (at least at major matches ). BJ Norris is considered one of the best up-and- coming USPSA shooters; He shoots a M&P - in Production. He's shot Open division the last five years.

Additionally; The M&P shot minor will also allow you to use identical equipment (pistol, holster, mags, ammo, etc.) in IDPA for SSP (Stock Service Pistol). There is no major power factor in IDPA for 40S&W (and that's a whole 'nother story). SSP fields the most shooters at a given match in IDPA. As oppossed to Limited 10, the M&P is a very competitive platform in this division.

Last edited:
I was just going to use WWB. I haven't mastered my 550 yet (actually, it sorta kicked me in the ass the first time i tried to use it).

I guess I'll try production. I won't be competitive in any case because I'm not going to worry about speed.

My holster is a Blackhawk Serpa that I like.

With all due respect to Dan S and RGS you're better off in Production.

A M&P 40 is a very competitive Production gun. If you reload, load minor. If you don't reload, shoot a light load, like Wolff. The larger diameter of the 40 will give you an extra point or two on a perf shot over 9mm and you won't wrestle with the gun as much. Theoretically you can focus more on the match, as opposed to shooting mechanics (nothing wrong with mechanics - but there will be a lot to take in at the match Sunday). Shoot Production, it's competitive locally and nationally so you can gauge your performance.

As far as Limited 10 is concerned (I'll put my helmet on here); At big matches you'll get your butt kicked by guys shooting SV and STI Limited guns loading 10 rounds. In the 2007 Limited 10 Nationals, 7 of the top ten shot SV/STI platforms. The M&P is not the desired competitive platform in Limited 10 (at least at major matches ). BJ Norris is considered one of the best up-and- coming USPSA shooters; He shoots a M&P - in Production. He's shot Open division the last five years.

Additionally; The M&P shot minor will also allow you to use identical equipment (pistol, holster, mags, ammo, etc.) in IDPA for SSP (Stock Service Pistol). There is no major power factor in IDPA for 40S&W (and that's a whole 'nother story). SSP fields the most shooters at a given match in IDPA. As oppossed to Limited 10, the M&P is a very competitive platform in this division.

Although I agree with you and defer to your reasoning, my reason for L10 over Production was purely shooting major loads in a minor scored division and the point loss involved in the scoring.

Glad you explained it makes sense. (as always [wink] )

No one ever chronos at a local match, no time. However, with the 165gr WWB .40, you'd be shooting Minor, which would fit you best in Production.

Earlier this spring I was talking to a S&W sponsored shooter who traveled a lot and bought his ammo where he was shooting matches, rather than flying with it. He said that until S&W came out with the 5" M&P .40, he was shooting only Minor in Production with the M&P9 because he couldn't make Major with the standard length M&P and WWB .40. With the 5" model, store bought 165gr .40 should make major.

I was just going to use WWB. I haven't mastered my 550 yet (actually, it sorta kicked me in the ass the first time i tried to use it).

I guess I'll try production. I won't be competitive in any case because I'm not going to worry about speed.

My holster is a Blackhawk Serpa that I like.

Just keep that in mind enjoy yourself and be safe. When I first started I shot a Beretta 92 in production, then a Glock 17 with a magwell, speed holster, and hi-caps in Limited (scoring minor). I didn't care about being competitive. Hell I even decided to use my 8 shot open revo steel gun in open division one time - you should have seen and heard some of the looks and comments I got. I think some of the guys thought I was crazy or something! [smile]

In the beginning it is all about the experience, having fun, and learning the basics. Don't be afraid to ask questions during the match - there are no bad ones. You will have a great time shooting, learning and watching some AWESOME shooters from the different divisions.

Back
Top Bottom