Question about Hornady LnL w/wire ejector

Tackdriver VillenTactical

Dealer
NES Member
I read in another thread not to get a LnL AP with the wire ejector. Mine has the wire but I don't have any real problems with it. What are the problems encontered and should I/can I modify mine to avoid trouble in the future?

Dave

I'll let the more experienced confirm this, but I believe with smaller calibers such as .38 and 9mm would 'hang-up' on the ejector wire. I believe some modifications are available. Some have even changed the wire altogether with a different gauge. Some say polishing works. I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. YMMV

Last edited:
There are two problems with the ejector wire:

1. You have to adjust it's position when going from a small (.38 and under) to a larger (.45 and up) rounds, otherwise smaller rounds can hang up and larger rounds can be misaligned. The fact that it needs to be adjusted isn't obvious, and people complain about it. The adjustment is not that hard, but it has to be done.

2. Some non-Hornady crimp dies cannot be used in the final station because they hit the ejector wire when adjusted low enough to perform the crimp. This problem can be corrected by using Hornady crimp dies, or modifying other manufacturers' dies. It doesn't happen on longer rounds (.38 SPL, .44, .460, .500) but it can on rounds like 9mm and .45 ACP.
If you adjust the location of the wire properly, and use the correct dies (or crimp in station 4) there's no problem. Hornady must've gotten sick of people complaining about it though because they changed the design to eliminate the wire on the latest version of the machine.

Last edited:
You can also send your unit back to Hornady and they'll upgrade it to the new EZject for $100.00 which includes the shipping too. Check out their web site and there's a video on the front page with the new system. I'm trying to order the LNL but every vendor is out of stock waiting for the new ones to ship.

Last edited:
You can also send your unit back to Hornady and they'll upgrade it to the new EZject for $100.00 which includes the shipping too. Check out their web site and there's a video on the front page with the new system. I'm trying to order the LNL but evey vendor is out of stock waiting for the new ones to ship.

They also have to modify the shell plates. They'll do a couple for you when they do the machine (included in the $100) but you have to pay to have the others modified. Since I have over 20 shell plates, I'm going to pass.

Back
Top Bottom