Quabbin Park Deer Hunt

Mark from MA

NES Member
Did anyone put in to hunt Quabbin Park? Did anyone go to the meeting?

They are opening up the final area of the Quabbin this year. I heard for the first time in the Public Meeting they not only had opposition from the normal Anti's, but also the local area hunters. They are pissed off that the State has gone too far and wrecked what was once a decent deer hunting area.

The local hunters want the Quabbin Park left as alone to keep whatever half ass decent deer hunting they have left, in Hardwick, Ware, Belchertown and not make it like parts of Petersham and New Salem that have gone to shxt for deer hunting.

The state argues the deer will starve.....but the hunters argue there are no deer in the other parts of the Quabbin, and the deer will just move there and feed where the forest is regenerated because there are no deer. The latter makes sense to me. Part of me also feels that some of these people border the Quabbin Park and want to keep the sanctuary for themselves. Whatever the case, the hunt will be on and these locals will be losing their honey hole.

Did anyone put in to hunt Quabbin Park? Did anyone go to the meeting?

They are opening up the final area of the Quabbin this year. I heard for the first time in the Public Meeting they not only had opposition from the normal Anti's, but also the local area hunters. They are pissed off that the State has gone too far and wrecked what was once a decent deer hunting area.

The local hunters want the Quabbin Park left as alone to keep whatever half ass decent deer hunting they have left, in Hardwick, Ware, Belchertown and not make it like parts of Petersham and New Salem that have gone to shxt for deer hunting.

The state argues the deer will starve.....but the hunters argue there are no deer in the other parts of the Quabbin, and the deer will just move there and feed where the forest is regenerated because there are no deer. The latter makes sense to me. Part of me also feels that some of these people border the Quabbin Park and want to keep the sanctuary for themselves. Whatever the case, the hunt will be on and these locals will be losing their honey hole.

Yes I went to the meeting and yes I applied. The odds are low as they are only picking about 100 hunters. We will find out on the 11th when they pull the numbers.

I saw very little anti-hunting opposition. The main opposition for the hunt was primarily coming from the abutting landowners has they want to keep their private hunting sanctuaries. I can’t say as I blame them. I would want to has well. They certainly were pissed when they found out that it was an informational meeting and not a hearing where they had input to the decision. The decision was made.

Hunter success rate for hunters deer hunting at Quabbin has been less than the state average so ending the Quabbin sanctuary in 1992 as decimated the deer herd and hunting in the surrounding area.

Connecticut’s private land laws create deer sanctuaries throughout the state and I believe that is one reason the hunting is so much better there.

Massachusetts has a lot of problems when it comes to deer hunting, and hunting in general. The state is mostly mature forest and that has the least to offer for supporting deer and other animal populations. The state puts little to no effort into development of the land to support larger herds and sportsmen like other states do.

Bob

I applied as well. Not expecting to get in. Which is really no big deal.

I agree with your assessment In the western half of the state. Its shows in the piss poor state of affairs the quabbin general deer hunt has become. It was unhunted for like 70-80 years, in 10 years of controlled hunting its decimated and not recovering. Thats a testament to the poor habitat, and deer management strategy of this state. Its also affected other areas around the quabbin significantly, as deer would funnel off and relocate in huntable areas.

Deer have sanctuary in the east MA due to setbacks and antihunter issues. That will and could change in the future though. Coyotes will also help thin the herd there as well. As they have out west. And if enough access is given these deer rich suburbs will be devoid of deer once again as plenty of people here will buy permits and whale away.

Im all ok with it since im an out of state hunter. I see 10 times as many deer where I hunt in other states that have proper management and the other states tend to have less brown is down hunters as well.

Agreed.

I don’t expect to get in either.

Generally the controlled hunts are good for me as I have a hard time getting around these days. I was the guy who asked the obligatory Moose hunt question.

Massachusetts doesn’t care one whit for the hunters or managing the deer herd. They would be happy if both went away.

Like you, I hunt more out of state.

Bob

They pulled the Quabbin numbers today for the controlled hunt. No luck here.

Bob

https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2019/09/11/Quabbin-deer-hunt-lottery-drawn-2019.pdf
Bummer Bob. I talked to the new Captain of the DCR rangers and was told the Wachusett lottery was going to happen within the next couple weeks and not on the 11th as previously planned. He stated things are still fluid at the moment and lots of changes going on. Also the arc.gis app now has the DCR area land updated but you can only access it when you sign in as “guest” instead of your user login.

Bummer Bob. I talked to the new Captain of the DCR rangers and was told the Wachusett lottery was going to happen within the next couple weeks and not on the 11th as previously planned. He stated things are still fluid at the moment and lots of changes going on. Also the arc.gis app now has the DCR area land updated but you can only access it when you sign in as “guest” instead of your user login.

Thanks for the info.

Not a big deal for me but I had hopes of getting my dad out there. He is 80 and can’t walk far at this point so it would have a been a way two get him out where he has a good chance of connecting.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom