Purchasing powder

I'm just getting started into reloading. I was gonna purchase some powder, but it is so expensive to ship, especially from midwayusa.com, like $22.50 Haz Mat fees plus $9.99 Shipping fees, so a 1 lb can that lists for $25 more than doubles cause of shipping costs. yet ammo doesn't incure those fees, what gives? Whould i be better off purchasing it from a store or anything? BTW, im in RI.

Purchase small quantities from local gunshops or at shows, as you've found out, shipping (haz mat chg) is a killer. Consider finding what works for you and order in bulk. 2 eight pound "kegs" costs little more to ship than several 1 one pound cans and you can amoratize the cost over a larger volume of powder. Most shippers will mix 2 different 8 pounders from the same manufacturer. IE 8lbs of your favorite rifle powder and 8lbs of pistol powder.

I also buy a lot of my powder at shows, I have one favorite vendor that I call and tell him what I need and meet him at the show and he has my order all boxed up ready to go, no add'l shipping charge.

If you buy enough powder, some suppliers will waive the haz mat fee. Buying in bulk is also more economical. You can also mix powders and primers on the same haz mat fee.

Find a friend or two and combine your stuff into one larger order. Up to a certain weight you'll only incur one hazmat fee. It helps to reduce the overall expense.

Thankfully, here in the PRM, our Attorney General makes sure that we're not faced with these problems. [angry]

Back
Top Bottom