Purchasing (not possessing) Before Tax Stamp

I'm looking to build an MP5 style SBR out of a post-ban assault pistol (Coharie). Is it alright for me to purchase the weapon before I apply for my stamp provided it is left at the dealer and I do not take possession of it until the stamp comes back?

Your dealer should be able to answer this question for you. I assume you're asking more about legality under Mass law rather than NFA?

Your post inspired me to check out the Coharie website, I think I'll ask Jim @MFL what it would take to get into a ca94sdSBR :)\

Edit:
From what I've been told about the Federal law, the one tricky piece regarding purchasing a pistol with the intent to create an SBR would be constructive possession, for example, if you purchase a pistol and also have on hand the rifle stock. But the Federal law is fine with you owning all the parts, but leaving them in the possession of the dealer.

Last edited:
I guess this is a MA-centric question. If the Mod's could move I would appreciate it.

I know it is illegal for me to possess a post-ban assault pistol. My dealer said I was free to take it home with me after paying for it, so they aren't always the best source of info. Just want to make sure purchasing it with the intent to create an NFA item won't get me jammed up somehow.

I'm looking to build an MP5 style SBR out of a post-ban assault pistol (Coharie). Is it alright for me to purchase the weapon before I apply for my stamp provided it is left at the dealer and I do not take possession of it until the stamp comes back?
How are you going to fill out the forms if you don't already own the host gun?, IE serial # and all that good stuff??? If you can't read through my sarcasm, the answer is a pretty obvious YES, buy "host", fill out forms, get approved forms back, make into SBR...

If the "host" isn't MA legal, then no you shouldn't have it until it is neutered.

...From what I've been told about the Federal law, the one tricky piece regarding purchasing a pistol with the intent to create an SBR would be constructive possession, for example, if you purchase a pistol and also have on hand the rifle stock. But the Federal law is fine with you owning all the parts, but leaving them in the possession of the dealer.
It's not that "tricky" its pretty simple, don't have the stock in your possession till you have the approved form back...

Last edited:
I'm going to resurrect this since I didn't really get an answer, nor was I really specific about what I am trying to build. I am looking to build a clone of the MP5K PDW (with the shorter barrel). This eliminates the option of buying the rifle version clone (CA94).

The problem is that the CA89K (pistol) is illegal for me to possess in MA. It is considered an 'assault pistol' under the AWB. There is no effective way to neuter it to make it 'compliant' with MA laws.

So how do I go about making an SBR out of a CA89K pistol? Or any pistol for that matter...

EDIT: Is it possible for me to buy ONLY the receiver first and go from there? Do uppers even exist for these typed of weapons? All the de-milled MP5-style weapons seem to have them sawed in half.

Last edited:
I'm going to resurrect this since I didn't really get an answer, nor was I really specific about what I am trying to build. I am looking to build a clone of the MP5K PDW (with the shorter barrel). This eliminates the option of buying the rifle version clone (CA94).

The problem is that the CA89K (pistol) is illegal for me to possess in MA. It is considered an 'assault pistol' under the AWB. There is no effective way to neuter it to make it 'compliant' with MA laws.

So how do I go about making an SBR out of a CA89K pistol? Or any pistol for that matter...

EDIT: Is it possible for me to buy ONLY the receiver first and go from there? Do uppers even exist for these typed of weapons? All the de-milled MP5-style weapons seem to have them sawed in half.

I guess I don't understand your question...but here are some generalizations, that might help answer whatever it is you are trying to figure out.

No you can't have a postban Assualt Pistol in MA (because you want to make an SBR out of it doesn't change that)

Keep in mind the MA definition of FIREARM, if you find an FFL who understands it as well you could buy a stripped barreled reciever, and go from there...

The "upper" of HK style guns is the reciever, jump on gunbroker, there are ussually a few for sale, of course it will need to go to an FFL. unless of course its been demilled, then its just parts, so if you want one of the cut in half MP5's you can just buy it and go from there.

probably the easiest way to make a postban MP5K PDW style SBR in MA would be to buy one of these "rifles" . have the stock pinned to be MA OK, take it home, do up the Form 1 process, when approved remove the fake suppressor and be done...
GB auction: 219834490

Last edited:
I guess I don't understand your question...but here are some generalizations, that might help answer whatever it is you are trying to figure out.

No you can't have a postban Assualt Pistol in MA (because you want to make an SBR out of it doesn't change that)

Keep in mind the MA definition of FIREARM, if you find an FFL who understands it as well you could buy a stripped barreled reciever, and go from there...

The "upper" of HK style guns is the reciever, jump on gunbroker, there are ussually a few for sale, of course it will need to go to an FFL. unless of course its been demilled, then its just parts, so if you want one of the cut in half MP5's you can just buy it and go from there.

I need the post-ban pistol to make what I want. I know I can't 'have' it in my possession. I wasn't sure if it was okay to pay for it and just leave it with the dealer until I get my forms back. The same as buying a post-ban assault weapon, and sending it to a MA dealer to have neutered. Or is that just asking for trouble?

I think trying to find a barreled upper or a stripped receiver on GB is going to be the easiest way to get this done.

Last edited:
What I've done in the past is have a local manufacturer take possession of the pistol, and form 2 it, then transfer the completed SBR to me. That way I never possessed it as an assault pistol, and it has a shop's name on it, not mine.

--EasyD

If there is no physical transfer then you are fine.

This is pretty much standard for any NFA item, for that matter. Dealers don't want to be stuck with their ass in their hands if a guy, for example, wants an MG, and then the paperwork gets approved 6 months later and now the buyer doesn't have the cash.

-Mike

If there is no physical transfer then you are fine.

This is pretty much standard for any NFA item, for that matter. Dealers don't want to be stuck with their ass in their hands if a guy, for example, wants an MG, and then the paperwork gets approved 6 months later and now the buyer doesn't have the cash.

-Mike

+1

Back
Top Bottom