Purchasing a mail order AR upper in Mass?

Short background: I have a complete 20" AR HBAR. Lets say I want to turn it into a 16" barreled carbine.

I see in a lot of ads for complete AR uppers (receiver and barrel assemblies) with the words "No FFL required", whereas lowers seem FFL restricted. The obvious implication being that its the lowers that are considered "the gun". Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

That said, does anyone know if you can, in fact, simply order a complete upper and have it shipped to Mass with no FFL/dealer transfer or involvement? And if so, can I legally swap it onto a lower I already own or do I need to re-register the whole thing?

Any input or advice on things I am missing here would be appreciated.

As always,

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

Uppers are not controlled by the state or the Feds. So you can mix and match to your heart's content. Just as long as you don't violate the MA AWB by "creating an AWB".

So, you can legally order an upper and have shipped direct to you. I won't be surprised however if you tell us that some folks won't ship them to MA. I've even seen that some companies won't ship full-length wooden stocks for old military rifles to MA! It's strictly paranoia. . . and Reilly is very effective in planting that in many vendors' minds.

LenS said:
Steve,

Uppers are not controlled by the state or the Feds. So you can mix and match to your heart's content. Just as long as you don't violate the MA AWB by "creating an AWB".

So, you can legally order an upper and have shipped direct to you. I won't be surprised however if you tell us that some folks won't ship them to MA. I've even seen that some companies won't ship full-length wooden stocks for old military rifles to MA! It's strictly paranoia. . . and Reilly is very effective in planting that in many vendors' minds.

Thanks Len. I've heard those stories about some dealers not shipping to Mass. I'd be shocked if a company like Bushmaster wouldn't ship directly though. Suppose it's worth a call.

Thanks again.

Steve

Ozman, where in MA are you?
If you're heartset on something, I have dual Ma / Ri residency, and could recieve it for you. I order all of my firearm related things to my RI address so I dont have to deal with anyone being afraid of getting sued by the AG for selling a mass resident a holster used in a lawful self defence shooting or something....

Newbie Question

So, if one had a MA compliant lower (NES group buy) could that person by an AR upper, private sale in Maine, put that on the NES lower and register as a complete gun? If so, I assume the upper would need to be MA AWB compliant?

So, if one had a MA compliant lower (NES group buy) could that person by an AR upper, private sale in Maine, put that on the NES lower and register as a complete gun? If so, I assume the upper would need to be MA AWB compliant?

I believe you are correct.

Does anyone search anymore? Since the AR buy, there have been more and more reposts of the same questions.

FYI I did search for an answer to that question. I have been on the forum long enough to know that when a question is asked, the person asking is as likely (or usually more likely) to get smart ass comments about not searching, as he is to get an answer to the question. And to scriv: I clutter up the forum with my one question, more than you clutter it up with your plethora of ever ready sarcastic replies?[angry]

Last edited:
FYI I did search for an answer to that question. I have been on the forum long enough to know that when a question is asked, the person asking is as likely (or usually more likely) to get smart ass comments about not searching, as he is to get an answer to the question. And to scriv: I clutter up the forum with my one question, more than you clutter it up with your plethora of ever ready sarcastic replies?[angry]

Running "AR upper" as a search term got these results:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=863031

Many of those posts deal specifically with your query.

As you would have learned, had you made that minimal effort....

Back
Top Bottom