• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PSA: Honor your WTS deal too much to ask?

In regards to the feedback its important to let others know that when dealing with this person, you may or may not get the item after agreement of purchase. I was specific when i said "behavior based on this topic" I should probably worded it different. My bad.
It’s fine. It’s just that the “if you’re in favor of A, you MUST be against B, and vice-versa” logic chain happens a lot on NES, and it’s frequently wrong.

While I personally would have kept the agreed upon deal as the seller, I would never fault someone who takes an offer that was closer to asking price. Its not like he cancelled on you while you were on your way driving to meet him. He didn't inconvenience you.

This situation happened to me before, I just accepted it and moved on. The fact that you made a thread about it is sad. Neg rep and move on if it makes you happy.

I cannot agree with you on this. It goes to the very heart of your character. If you can't keep your word on the little things, what about bigger issues?

I think that @Mtn_Guy was well within boundaries to call out this sort of behavior.

YMMV. And, apparently it does.

FOXTROTJULIETBRAVO

I gave the seller an option up front for the same reasons I didn’t sh*t post on this one, I didn’t post his User name and put him on blast, I brought this to the NES Tribe of Appeals, …
It was a nice thing to do, and I commend you for it. He might benefit from some fatherly advice, but that would not have occurred to me, to give it nor to suppose he might be receptive to it, either one. Hopefully the thread has taught him something, but if you weren’t brought up with “my word is my bond”, I’m kind of pessimistic that it will “compute” later.

I made a deal with a member on their WTS ad yesterday. We agreed on price, we agreed on location to meet, and we agreed that I would reach back today to dial in plans to meet up.

After reaching back to the seller today, they backed out of the deal, stating :

“Actually I just got another offer for the [Redacted Item] from a member a little closer and closer to my asking price so I'm gonna go with them for now.…I just got a better offer from someone else I'm sorry”

So, I offered the seller this option:

“look, I get it… but when you make a deal, you honor that deal…even if a better offer comes along 5 minutes later. We left thing with an agreed price and location to meet, and plans to dial in final timing today.

so I’ll be honorable and offer you a deal since you’re backing out on ours —

1. public shaming?
2. Negative feedback?
3. Or reconsider our deal as originally agreed?

choice is yours…”

So what say you NES… negative rep? Post their User Id here?

The seller has replied:

“Public shaming? I'm sorry but I've had numerous people back out on deals with me and never threatened them with negative feedback and public shaming. I understand your upset and I apologize again but I feel as if I should be able to choose who and how I sell my items.”

So what does the brain trust think…?

I honor my deals. Maybe that is too much of an expectation?
you offered reptile a $1300 for a stripped post-healy lower and he backed out? :)

Only had one situation close to this. Made a deal with someone for an off-list handgun.
Had a similar situation with an 'off list license to buy' NES'er. New pistol, we agreed on a price and a North Shore PU, as the day was approached I found he was ducking me, I had to hunt him down and he told me outright it was sold. Like me, He was a Veteran and I expected he would honor his word. Instead he sold himself out for a few dollars more.

Eff neg rep unless it's unusually egregious, he has to live with himself

Talk about a whole lot got air over a simple subject.

An agreement was reached and one of the parties later reneged.

Feedback of this failed transaction should be left.

Sadly saying “NES has spoken” doesn’t cut it but that’s an issue for another time…

It's not that.

I had a deal working, marked it SPF, got the funds, shipped the item, and some mod deleted it which is waaaaay off from what any other similar board would do.

I typically tell buyers that I won't mark it sold until they receive the item. That way they get a chance to compare the item received against my crappy pictures. Nope-deleted ad, and no chance for the buyer to easily compare pics vs the item.
That reminds me of the handicapped guy who called in to Handel on the Law
to ask for advice on how to stop handicapped visitors from parking in
his numbered assigned parking space at his apartment house.

The parking space that he paid rent for.

The parking space that was closest to the door, because he was handicapped.

The parking space that he had the landlord mark as "handicapped".

None of the brain trust on the entire radio show could figure out that
if he didn't want handicapped people trespassing on his private parking space,
he shouldn't virtue signal by festooning it with blue and white wheelchair symbols.

It's like hanging a pork chop from a tree in the back yard
as the counterweight on a Redneck Weather Rope,
and then bitching when your dog eats it.

If one wants to tell potential buyers that there's a deal pending,
but one doesn't want the moderators to delete your posting,
then maybe don't festoon one's post with a magical symbol
that the moderators interpret as "DELETE ME"

Write the English sentence,
"This deal has a sale pending - don't contact me".

If the moderators have a batch job grepping for that,
change it to Yodaese: "Upcoming on this deal a sale there is - contact me not".
If they spot that, change it to Church Latin or something.

I assume they're nuking SPF posts because they're fed up with
thoughtless sellers who clog the forums with dead deals.
And they must be really fed up to do that.

Storage keeps getting cheaper per bit,
so at some point that clean-up must be
to keep the NES user experience baby-fresh.

If you go back and scrupulously delete your posts when they're done,
maybe they'll respect your operating sellerness.
Unless they don't.

(Watch me catch discipline for inciting mutiny.
I'm sure I can't imagine the hair-tearing web cloggage that caused the mods
to waste time deleting obsolete posts.
But there oughta be an exception for a man of wealth and taste like @AFAR/PFAR,
who cares enough to clean up his own posts in the end[thumbsup]).

Sooo....that list proves my point exactly. Thank you!

Nothing of value was exchanged. Per your list, its not a deal.
Clue: A contract is an agreement between parties to exchange things of value,
like guns and money.

This isn't about contract law Beatrice.
No; this is about contracts whose parties virtually never try to enforce them.
Because it's almost never all that big of a deal.

If you agree to sell a guy Teddy Roosevelt's elephant gun,
and then back out of the deal because you got a better offer,
don't assume he can't get a court to force you to sell it.

Ironically, in a case like that, there may be less legal risk
from suing the seller for the gun. Because leaving negative reps
(or ripping them a new orifice in a thread) is grist for
an annoyance suit about "muh reputation". [rolleyes]

Stop feeding the trolls
(Too late [shocked] ).

Not guilty?
You know how this works -
it depends on whether she gives off white or black smoke.

For the most part the guys I have dealt with on this forum are good people,
but I have run into a few that are just losers. These are the ones that make
a deal with a few people and then jump on the one, that is the fastest and
easiest to get to.Feedback is there to let the next person know whom they are
dealing with.
After posting this I just went over to one of the losers who i dealt with feedback and,
found a negative rating for the same thing he did to me.I should have given him a Neg.
at the time.

Had a similar situation with an 'off list license to buy' NES'er. New pistol, we agreed on a price and a North Shore PU, as the day was approached I found he was ducking me, I had to hunt him down and he told me outright it was sold. Like me, He was a Veteran and I expected he would honor his word. Instead he sold himself out for a few dollars more.

Eff neg rep unless it's unusually egregious, he has to live with himself
Neg reps aren't about punishing the guilty party. They're about giving a heads up to others that the person might not be reliable

A toxic seller/buyer will have no trouble living with themselves, regardless of neg reps

Neg reps aren't about punishing the guilty party. They're about giving a heads up to others that the person might not be reliable

A toxic seller/buyer will have no trouble living with themselves, regardless of neg reps
This.

If the OP doesn't neg rep the seller, how's the next guy supposed to know the seller is prone to shit like this? The point of the feedback system is to inform potential buyers and sellers who don't know each other. Keeping valid information out of that system benefits no one.

I cannot agree with you on this. It goes to the very heart of your character. If you can't keep your word on the little things, what about bigger issues?

I think that @Mtn_Guy was well within boundaries to call out this sort of behavior.

YMMV. And, apparently it does.

FOXTROTJULIETBRAVO

I'm not saying I'd be friends with the guy, nor would I attempt to do business with him again. I'm just saying I wouldn't cry about it to the NES brain trust.

Let's keep it in perspective here - the buyer was not harmed in any way, other than getting his feelings hurt. Neg rep (if you feel it necessary) and move on.

At least moralizing about a failed business deal is a diversion from the clown world sh&t we have to contend with. 10 years ago I had no idea it could get this bad, but a run-of-the-mill "seller did this to me" thread, which happens on every kind of forum I've ever been on, feels like a throwback to more normal times.

I'm not saying I'd be friends with the guy, nor would I attempt to do business with him again. I'm just saying I wouldn't cry about it to the NES brain trust.

Let's keep it in perspective here - the buyer was not harmed in any way, other than getting his feelings hurt. Neg rep (if you feel it necessary) and move on.
Nobody’s “crying.” Now it’s you who needs perspective.

OP has a firm grasp on his own options, his emotions, and the customs of the people who buy and sell on this site. He asked a clear question and achieved rapid consensus. Nobody here is clutching pearls. The discussion was largely well-reasoned, and took into account many things that you’re conveniently glossing over.

One wonders whether you read the entire thread…

Negative feedback with detail. That way if anyone, including myself, is looking to buy from the person we will have a sense of what we can expect. I've bought from folks with negative feedback. The feedback helped me to better understand how to close the deal with the person.

Negative feedback with detail. That way if anyone, including myself, is looking to buy from the person we will have a sense of what we can expect. I've bought from folks with negative feedback. The feedback helped me to better understand how to close the deal with the person.
5d97a5026fa74.image.jpg

If neg reps meant anything - you'd have shut down your OnlyFans page eons ago.

I had something similar happen when I was trying to do a trade for a mini 14. Turns out a buddy of mine ended up striking a better deal to the mini 14 owner and ended up with it. He texted me a picture saying something along the lines of check out my new addition. After calling him we figured out it was the same guy.

Dick move IMO. Only neg rep I have ever given was for a guy that was a no show.

I understand your point, but by leaving negative feedback you might make him think twice about dicking people around in the future.

if a grown man hasn’t learned the value of their word, I’m skeptical a passive forum feedback will accomplish much. Perhaps it alerts others. However I’ll tell you that I’ve done transactions with forum members who had negative feedback and they went fine. Half the time it’s the arm flapper (complainer) made assumptions on the deal or never truly committed to purchase. I’ve had people contact me with some passive interest, then I sell the item and they flip out. many interpret a mushy DM as a basis for laying claim.

Im not questioning the OP, but as usual we are hearing 1 side of every story so I draw zero conclusions. Further a dropped deal for the buyer is not a big deal. Whatever move on. It’s far more annoying for the seller.

when I lived in MA I did a shit ton of deals on NES. Most forum members are legit. A few suck. These #’s are unlikely to ever change. If you know how to buy/sell it will always work out in the end.

It’s crazy to me that some adults still don’t know the difference between right and wrong, the bottom line is once an agreement is made it’s made and both parties should honor said agreement.

Feedback is a barometer on whether or not people want to waste their time dealing with someone, I mean a guy can have 99 positives and 1 nasty negative and it can still be a yellow light as far as I’m concerned.

Once you type “I’ll take it” or “We got a Deal” then that is as good as a handshake in my opinion

if a grown man hasn’t learned the value of their word, I’m skeptical a passive forum feedback will accomplish much. Perhaps it alerts others. However I’ll tell you that I’ve done transactions with forum members who had negative feedback and they went fine. Half the time it’s the arm flapper (complainer) made assumptions on the deal or never truly committed to purchase. I’ve had people contact me with some passive interest, then I sell the item and they flip out. many interpret a mushy DM as a basis for laying claim.

Im not questioning the OP, but as usual we are hearing 1 side of every story so I draw zero conclusions. Further a dropped deal for the buyer is not a big deal. Whatever move on. It’s far more annoying for the seller.

when I lived in MA I did a shit ton of deals on NES. Most forum members are legit. A few suck. These #’s are unlikely to ever change. If you know how to buy/sell it will always work out in the end.

The goal is not to "teach a lesson" to the seller. The goal is to warn other buyers and let them make a better-informed choice...

Back
Top Bottom