Prvi Partizan factory fire and explosion

richc

NES Member
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090903/wl_nm/us_serbia_blast_1

BELGRADE (Reuters) – Four explosions at an ammunition factory in western Serbia killed six people and wounded at least eight on Thursday, a police official said.

Police, firefighters and the military sealed off the area around the Prvi Partizan ammunition factory in the town of Uzice, some 160 km (100 miles) west of the capital Belgrade, said Deputy Interior Minister Predrag Maric.

"Rescuers found six bodies inside an ammunition loading facility. That's the death toll. The injured people have been hospitalized," Maric said.

Prvi Partizan is Serbia's largest ammunition factory. It produces military and hunting ammunition as well as gun powder and explosives.

Maric said firefighters had "doused the fires and there is no danger of more explosions." He did not elaborate about the causes of the blast pending the end of the initial investigation.

Interior Minister Ivica Dacic was on his way to the site, said a ministry spokeswoman.

Serbian defense industries have stepped up production in past two years, mainly exporting to Iraq, Libya, the United States and Myanmar. The total value of export deals in 2008 exceeded $600 million.

Serbian Defense Minister Dragan Sutanovac said last week that Serbia had secured a $100 million export deal for weapons and military equipment to Iraq.

Wow!

My prayers go out to the workers and their families.

Get ready everybody - prices are going up again.

[shocked] I can imagine that the firefighers looked at each other when they heard where the fire was knowing they all were thinking the same thing.

"I don't want to go in there!"

[shocked] I can imagine that the firefighers looked at each other when they heard where the fire was knowing they all were thinking the same thing.

"I don't want to go in there!"

Thats when you move to surround and drown instead of an interior attack.

Damn... wonder what happened in there. Maybe they make propellants/explosives in the same factory?

Sad, sad day for the people involved and their families. [sad2]

-Mike

4 explosions killed 6 woman and 1 man,first explosion was in "reloading area" of factory,firefighters were able to stop fire before it came to "storage area"(finished products) of the factory.there is also 14 wounded....they saying ,they were very lucky, fire/explosion in "storage area" would kill almost everyone there and thats like more than 100 people....

ugh, this will drive the price of privi up for sure!

im sure they had the typical ghetto-ass eastern european style safety regs going on. Albania had a huge explosion at an ammo storage facility a year back or so also...

ugh, this will drive the price of privi up for sure!

It'll drive up the price of all 5.56 and 7.62 NATO, actually.... Privi's presence has helped stabilize prices, and if it's not there for awhile, that means the market has lost another piece of price moderation.

-Mike

privi makes excellent 5.56x45 in my opinion. its a shame that the factory will be slowed down!

Dench... what rifle do you use to shoot 5.56x45? I want to get a rifle in this caliber. Preference would be milled received, like my AK's.

thx

Rich

Dench... what rifle do you use to shoot 5.56x45?

AR-15?

5.56X45 is NATO's designation for .223 Remington

ETA: I know all about the chamber dimensional differences. Contrary to internet myth the SAAMI and CIP chamber pressure limits for both cartridges are the same. It's the chamber dimension differences that make shooting 5.56 in a .223 chamber a bit risky.

My mistake... I was thinking AK47 at 5.45 x 39.

DOH!

So which rifle do you like for this ammo?

thx

Rich

Back
Top Bottom