Progressive lenses and target sighting

Go away, friggin commie. We don't do progressive here. Not even the insurance.

Just kidding. Depending on if you are on a budget, most places consider polycarbonate lenses as sufficient protection. If not, you will have to find shooting glasses that fit over your eyewear. That's gonna be a mess.

Go away, friggin commie. We don't do progressive here. Not even the insurance.

Just kidding. Depending on if you are on a budget, most places consider polycarbonate lenses as sufficient protection. If not, you will have to find shooting glasses that fit over your eyewear. That's gonna be a mess.

Over the glasses (OTG) work well and protect you from cases falling behind the lenses (I've had it happen, not pleasant). I've also had a hot shell casing hit and damage my Rx glasses ($300), so OTGs are cheap and a $$-saver.

I think the OP's real question is sighting and yes, I find progressive bi-focals problematic. You need to hold your head at an odd tilt to get a proper sight picture and can't sustain that for long comfortably.

Best solution is get some glasses (Rx) made specifically for a "front sight picture". I had that done for the insert in ESS shooting glasses.

Over the glasses (OTG) work well and protect you from cases falling behind the lenses (I've had it happen, not pleasant). I've also had a hot shell casing hit and damage my Rx glasses ($300), so OTGs are cheap and a $$-saver.

I think the OP's real question is sighting and yes, I find progressive bi-focals problematic. You need to hold your head at an odd tilt to get a proper sight picture and can't sustain that for long comfortably.

Best solution is get some glasses (Rx) made specifically for a "front sight picture". I had that done for the insert in ESS shooting glasses.

+1
I'm very slightly near sighted in both eyes. With no correction I can see the front sight perfectly clearly, with distance correction it is blurry. After many iterations ($$$) of glasses I settled on no correction in my dominate eye and distant correction in my other eye with a contact. This allows me to use non rx safety (rudy project) glasses with a selection of lenses. I got this advice from Jerry Miculek. Big picture is the front sight needs to be clear and you need to see distance well enough to see the target.

I only use progressives for driving at this point, otherwise it's reading glasses. Consider getting a shooting specific script and having them made up with poly-carb lens. There are at least two shooting optometrists here that can do this. I recommend it, it's made a tremendous difference in my shooting.

Same situation here. I find my progressives difficult to use while shooting. I ordered a separate pair of Rx sporting glasses with the old fashioned bifocal set to "front sight picture". They make a world of difference and meet the new ANSI std. Not cheap but you only get one set of peepers.

Thanks for the info! I'll try to find an Optometrist who is familiar with this issue. Merry Christmas all!

PM Idoktr. He can get you set up. And he isn't too far from metro west.
and +1 on shooting specific glasses. Your dominant shooting eye focused on the front sight, and the other focused on the target. You'll be good to go.

Hi guys, I'm am optometrist in Hopkinton ma. I've made up a handful of shooting bifocals, not progressives for shooters. Send me a message if I can help or give you a second opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info! I'll try to find an Optometrist who is familiar with this issue. Merry Christmas all!

I tried several solutions, including contacts and then realized that all I really needed to see clearly was the front sight. With no prescription I can shoot just fine out to at least 50 yds, all that I really need. The only problem is that I can't see clearly enough to score my targets during a match.

I'm in similar circumstances, using a progressive prescription and needing correction both for reading and at distance (can't drive without glasses).

LenS, do you have both left and right insert lenses for that same distance? I've wondered about the advisability and practicality of having right lens set for front sight picture and the left lens for distance (I'm right-eye dominant). Meanwhile, I actually get along best at the range sans corrective lenses; I can focus fairly well at front sight distance without correction but then I'm challenged to see a target adequately much beyond 8 or 10 yards.

Progressive lens glasses are a problem to sight the same point in the lens every time so you’re sighting changes. I have switch to a tri-focal lens special shooting and safety glasses made for me by my eye Dr. so I can get the same point of aim every time. I have been through this sighting thing with progressive lenses and they don't work for shooting. Find an Optometrist that will make you shooting glasses.

Last edited:
I have been wearing progressive lens for about 20 years. Don't give up when you first put them on! They may make you a little sick to your stomach, make you trip when you walk off a curb, but wear them and you will love them after awhile. I have the Crizal lens and use them to shoot. I also have a pair of progressive safety glasses my shop paid for that I use when I go to Sig for training. I dont use anything over them because it gets fogged up in the summer. Good luck.

LenS, do you have both left and right insert lenses for that same distance? I've wondered about the advisability and practicality of having right lens set for front sight picture and the left lens for distance (I'm right-eye dominant). Meanwhile, I actually get along best at the range sans corrective lenses; I can focus fairly well at front sight distance without correction but then I'm challenged to see a target adequately much beyond 8 or 10 yards.

I'm far-sighted. I just had to go look at the glasses to answer your question. They are set up as tri-focals (with lines) and work fine for pistol shooting, but target is fuzzy and walking with them is awkward. I tend not to wear them very often. I should probably have the lenses re-made to mono-vision (left for distance, right for front sight-picture). My regular progressives work OK for rifle-sighting, just not for shooting pistol.

I wear Progressives but generally switch to a single prescription for shooting. Also I found when looking thru a red-dot with my Progressives on my .22 Pistol the red dot appears as a small cluster of red dots and opposed to a single dot.

Back
Top Bottom