Problems with H-110 in S&W 500 Magnum.

Several sites list loads for the S&W 500 Magnum using this powder os I picked some up and started doing some experimentation. The first round was very light and the second one resulted in this.
100_1536.jpg

100_1533.jpg

Hodgdon's web site says this. "Reduce H110 and Winchester 296 loads 3% and work up from there. H110 and Winchester 296 if reduced too much will cause inconsistent ignition."
Yep, problem was, these were just below published starting loads of 39 grains. Had a couple go off and they felt nice and soft. I then had one go "click, Pffft, BANG" almost like the delay when shooting a flintlock. That scared me enough to pull all of the remaining loads I had made up with that powder.
I've seen Eddie Coyle's post on loads for the 500 mag but loading info for this round seems scarce. Does anyone else here have any loadin data to share? Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon with loading H-110?

I'm not where I can get to my loading materials, but off the top of my head, H110, which was intended for the .30 Carbine, would not be my choice for a heavy slug/heavy caliber. I suggest two things:

First, as the manuals indicate, reduced loads with H110 can be problematic. Second, it is a hard powder to ignite in general. As the unburned grains visible in the photo indicate, that is what happened here.

All of the .500's I make are with H110. What's the complete recipe were you using, and are you using large pistol primers or large rifle primers?

Well here's your problem right here...

For those loads listed where a starting load is not shown, start 10% below the suggested maximum load and then approach maximums carefully, watching for any sign of pressure (difficult extraction, cratered and flattened or blown primers, and unusual recoil). H110 and Winchester 296 loads should not be reduced more than 3%.

Reduce H110 and Winchester 296 loads 3% and work up from there. H110 and Winchester 296 if reduced too much will cause inconsistent ignition. In some cases it will lodge a bullet in the barrel, causing a hazardous situation (Barrel Obstruction). This may cause severe personal injury or death to users or bystanders. DO NOT REDUCE H110 LOADS BY MORE THAN 3%.

Bold added by me to show you the really impoartant part that you seemed to miss. If you drop the starting load, you're going to have a problem, and all of the H110 loads in Hodgdons Database for .500S&W Magnum have a starting load.

Also, you've violated the first commandment of reloading for the .500.

"Thou shalt not maketh light loads for the righteous hand cannon, for they are deemed wimpy and doth not goeth boom sufficiently"

Repent!

H-110

Uncle Fester sez; "Bold added by me to show you the really impoartant part that you seemed to miss. "

Nope, I quoted part of the same warning at the bottom of the second picture. I had started with 38 grains under a 350 grain bullet. Hodgdon site says starting load of 39 so I was less than the 3% under. [thinking]

Fooped, I'm attempting the opposite. I'm just trying to safely work up some wrist busters. [smile]
BTW, I'm using Berry's 350 Grain RNFP and Win large pistol primers in Winchester cases.
Using Alliant 2400 I got some going around 1600 FPS but they were a little sticky ejecting.
Testing continues any sunny day I can get the chrono to the range.

Uncle Fester sez; "Bold added by me to show you the really important part that you seemed to miss. "

Nope, I quoted part of the same warning at the bottom of the second picture. I had started with 38 grains under a 350 grain bullet. Hodgdon site says starting load of 39 so I was less than the 3% under. [thinking]

Fooped, I'm attempting the opposite. I'm just trying to safely work up some wrist busters. [smile]
BTW, I'm using Berry's 350 Grain RNFP and Win large pistol primers in Winchester cases.
Using Alliant 2400 I got some going around 1600 FPS but they were a little sticky ejecting.
Testing continues any sunny day I can get the chrono to the range.

You've got to read the whole thing, but pay veeeeery close attention to the bold part. [wink]

You're only supposed to reduce the load if (and only if) there is no starting load listed. All of the H110 .500S&W magnum loads on Hodgdon's website have a starting load (39 Grains of H110 for the 350 Grain XTP) and a max load (43 grains). If they only listed the max load of 43 grains, that's when you reduce by 3% and work up from there.

P.S. Aren't you supposed to use large rifle primers in the .500?

Last edited:
.500 s&w loads

I've been shooting a s&w .500 for a couple of years. I've tried 296,h110,lil gun,titegroup and h4227. The most accurate load in my revolver is 36 grains of h4227 a 335 grain fmj designed for the .50ae made by rainier and a large rifle primer.check your brass. early brass had a pistol primer pocket. current brass has a rifle primer pocket and the letter r in the headstamp.this load clocks 1500 fps out of my 8'' bbl.It's not the most powerful but it puts all those large bullets in one big hole at 25 yds. It's the most accurate handgun I've ever fired.

Thanks guys. I've loaded up a couple rounds with 41 grains of H-110 and will try and get to the range today to chrono. It looks like the sun is going to come out. (at least for a short time looking at the radar)
I have Winchester brass made for large pistol primers. I do have a couple of CorBon cases marker "R" for rifle primers.
I have never experienced a "lack of burn" before the way I did with the H-100. It just seemed to crystalize rather than combusting. I should think that when gunpowder is exposed to the flame of ANY primer that it will burn.
I'll report on the tests with 41 grains.

Last edited:
Well, a quick trip to the range showed that 41 grains of H-110 is not enough to ensure reliable ignition and gives no where near the power I am expecting.

OTOH 42 grains of 2400 runs around 1550 FPS and makes an impressive conussion. :)

Back
Top Bottom