Problem Getting CCW Permit in NH

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the Forum and this looks like a great place for my issue. A few years back I tried to obtain my CCW permit in a southern NH town. I got the form back with the denial stating "Due to criminal record". I was arrest twice in my younger years, once for minor in possession and another for DUI. The minor in Possession was in 1987 and the DUI was dismissed by the judge in 1993. So I've never had any convictions so I asked them about this and they said I should submit another form with a letter explaining the arrests. To me this seems a little ambiguous. I have no problem doing this, I'm just trying to educate myself as much as possible before I start this process. I don't think there is any reason I should not be able to get a permit. I'm an avid shooter and I recently started hunting with a revolver as we live in a shotgun only hunting area. We live in a high profile neighborhood which has seen a few burglaries this past year. One of which was my own! we have an alarm system and they were caught and arrested. The local Police did an outstanding job, but I know they cannot be there all the time for you.

Does anyone think I should have any trouble? I'm a working professional, have not gotten so much as a speeding ticket since 1993, am a victim of a crime and very experienced with handguns. I read the laws that pertain to getting one, but it seems they can deny anyone they want. I think I'm a law abiding citizen and I'm trying to do the right thing to carry legally. I know I can open carry but I'd rather not. I plan to try again and if I get denied I will most likely seek an attorney.

I'm in Londonderry, my neighbor got his four years ago no problem, although we have a new police chief as of last year.

I saw GONH website, but wasn't sure how they would be able to help, I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom