Primers - how old is OK?

rep308

NES Member
I'm getting back into reloading after a 10 year absence and discovered a couple of sleeves of Win small and large pistol primers from back in '93. I reloaded one primer in an empty case and it went bang fine. These have been stored in a cool, humidity controlled basement.

I'm pretty sure they are fine, I just wanted the opinion of the board before I load'em up.

(remember the great primer scare of '93?)

Back around '93 with all the Clinton anti gun hysteria rumors were swirling around that the ATF was going to try and restrict the supply of primers and some of us stocked up leading to a shortage for about a 6 month period. Now I'm wondering if they are still ok.

I've got plenty of surplus ammo from the '70s and '80s. It works just fine. As long as you stored the primers in a cool dry place, they'll work just fine.

If it were me, I'd load up a small batch to test. It everything seems normal and the powder burns completely and the power level seems normal for the load, I'd go ahead and finish therm off.

Hi:
I presently using primers that I bought back in the 1960's, (about 10,00 of them), so far every one I've pulled the trigger on has gone "BANG".
Like has been written " as long as they have been dry", they should be OK.

Arnaki

Back
Top Bottom