Primers comparable?

Looks more like a firing pin hole that is too large.
When you are shooting 2-3" groups, it doesn't matter.
When you are shooting 0.30" groups, it might matter.
If you are pushing the envelope, it might matter.

Hard to believe. My experience with Russian primers has not been good; poor QC.

Most of the highpower shooters I know (including myself) use Wolf primers. I've been through over 10,000 myself without a single bad one.

Most of the highpower shooters I know (including myself) use Wolf primers. I've been through over 10,000 myself without a single bad one.

There is obviously a huge difference in QC between these rifle primers and Wolf large pistol. I have seen anvils fall out of the LP primers while loading a primer tube. Not a lot (less than 1%) but enough to eliminate them from match ammo. Nice to know that Wolf is a good source for rifle primers.

I've always used whichever primers I could get my hands on for my handguns. But for rifle hunting loads, I stick with the same brand that I developed the load with. To be honest, I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I do it (more like superstition!). EC's earlier discussion was pretty helpful in getting a handle on primer differences.

BTW, speaking of primers, (and not to get too far off the topic) recently a gun shop employee told me that Federal primers shouldn't be used in AR-15s because they're soft and may touch off accidentally due to the AR bolt. I'm not familiar enough to know if this is truth or urban legend.

Last edited:
I've always used whichever primers I could get my hands on for my handguns. But for rifle hunting loads, I stick with the same brand that I developed the load with. To be honest, I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I do it (more like superstition!). EC's earlier discussion was pretty helpful in getting a handle on primer differences.

BTW, speaking of primers, (and not to get too far off the topic) recently a gun shop employee told me that Federal primers shouldn't be used in AR-15s because they're soft and may touch off accidentally due to the AR bolt. I'm not familiar enough to know if this is truth or urban legend.

Federal primers do tend to be more sensitive than most. I would personally avoid using them with an AR. (With the exception of the Federal primers that are specifically made for ARs.)

Federal primers do tend to be more sensitive than most. I would personally avoid using them with an AR. (With the exception of the Federal primers that are specifically made for ARs.)

I don't use them for my AR because they pierce too easy.

I've got about 100rds loaded with federal primers remaining that I won't use. Well over half of the ones I did use pierced. Chewed up the bolt face something fierce.

I wonder what primers Federal uses for the 5.56x45 they produce for military contracts? (i.e., all that M193 and M885 Lake City stuff that they make).

I wonder what primers Federal uses for the 5.56x45 they produce for military contracts? (i.e., all that M193 and M885 Lake City stuff that they make).

I have no idea what primers Federal uses for their military contract stuff, but I've never seen a silver primer in a military round so it must be something different than what they sell commercially. I imagine they use their own version of a CCI #41.

For what it's worth, Federal makes a match grade primer specifically for the AR. It's the GM205MAR. I've never used them myself but I would assume that they have harder cups than the standard GM205M primers.
0031634_federal-gm205mar-gold-metal-match-cf_300.jpeg

Thanks for the info on Federal primers with ARs.

I'm assuming they're OK to use for ammo on bolt action .223s. Or is it the .223 load that's the problem? Otherwise I could give them to my buddy to use for his .204 or .454 Casull. Is that correct?

I tend to use WSP for all my semi auto loads and Federal; SP for my revolver loads. I have used CCI SP in my semi auto loads and did not see any significant difference from the WSP loads.

I use CCI small rifle.
Mainly due to the fact that I only paid $20.00 per 1000 when I bought them.
After taking Jim's reloading class I will go with Wolf.
I do have enough for a year or so before I need to start looking for the Wolf primers though.
Mike.

Back
Top Bottom