Price check, stripped lower

I stopped in to Avid Sports in Pittsfield today. His price to me for a S&W stripped lower was $190. $35 tranfer fee if I buy elsewhere. I have to be able to do better than that. Still has an Olympic Arms on the rack for $700.

I just picked up my mil spec Stag lower half with Ambi safety and A2 stock from JDL Sales for $325. Got a bunch of good information form John as well as a worked trigger as part of the package. I think JDL is the way to go. I will be back for the rest of the build of my first AR. Grip and stock will probably change pretty quick also. Oh yeah, I called him about this Tuesday picked up on Friday, not too bad.

Last edited:
What a RIPOFF.

No kidding, there is a reason they have a ton in stock. At least the other guy keeps them somewhat decent price ($190 for S&W, $399 for Noveske + $200 stamp since they are SBR'd lowers).

I will not pay over $200 for a stripped lower, especially if it is a non-billet. Exception to that rule would be the Magpul Series C billet lower w/ their 'china doll/asian girl' engraving.

Series C lowers are sometimes referred to as the "china doll" or "asian girl" lowers. These are similar to the B series lowers, but can not be sold. They are easy to spot as the little figure (e-port side of the weapon) appears to be flipping off the viewer (or other agency).

Last edited:
I just picked up my mil spec Stag lower half with Ambi safety and A2 stock from JDL Sales for $325. Got a bunch of good information form John as well as a worked trigger as part of the package. I think JDL is the way to go. I will be back for the rest of the build of my first AR. Grip and stock will probably change pretty quick also. Oh yeah, I called him about this Tuesday picked up on Friday, not too bad.

I exchanged emails with John JDL and had hoped to meet with him this week if possible, but have had no reply since last Sunday. I shouldn't have said I was working from a zero budget and looking at an incremental project, I think.

I would give him another call. My story is about the same budget wise. I wanted to get something in the safe without getting gouged just in case something crazy happened with the new leadership. I doubt it will but a good excuse anyway. John was very open to building it for me as the budget becomes available. I did see some nice things at his shop and I have been staring at the Guns and Ammo Book of the AR for the past week with all kinds of grand visions. I think I need to just build a shooter and then expand on that. If you are a newbie like me this magazine is a decent read for information. Any of you pro's want to offer any other suggested readings I am all ears.

Lots of good information out here, I am still navigating my way through.

No kidding, there is a reason they have a ton in stock. At least the other guy keeps them somewhat decent price ($190 for S&W, $399 for Noveske + $200 stamp since they are SBR'd lowers).

I will not pay over $200 for a stripped lower, especially if it is a non-billet. Exception to that rule would be the Magpul Series C billet lower w/ their 'china doll/asian girl' engraving.

how does one SBR a lower? I thought it was up to barrel length, no?

I understand Oly. You'll have to tell me more about Avid. PM is OK if you'd rather.

Will do...Public version: Good guys, decent selection from time to time, great place to pick up odds-n-ends, knowledgeable about hunting, but they're a bit questionable with pricing and almost funny with interpretation of Mass laws...

Will do...Public version: Good guys, decent selection from time to time, great place to pick up odds-n-ends, knowledgeable about hunting, but they're a bit questionable with pricing and almost funny with interpretation of Mass laws...

I agree, they seem like very good guys. And the do seem very hunting oriented. I've always found them helpful and they treat customers well. No attitude. But my experience with Avid is limited to small purchases. The fellow I spoke to today admitted his brother was better able to discuss the whys and wherefores of the AR than he was. He wasn't trying to BS me.

I think I'll show him that Tec-9 tomorrow and see if he wan't to buy it or sell on consignment. That may be a revealing encounter. The guy at Dave's seemed afraid to even get his fingerprints on it.

lowers

whats the difference in lowers?????DPMS lowers$105.complet lower with all parts $160.
get the shotgun news and find a dealer to import the parts.

whats the difference in lowers?????DPMS lowers$105.complet lower with all parts $160.
get the shotgun news and find a dealer to import the parts.

You get what you pay for, as well as specs. Colts have different sized pins than normal lowers. And don't get me started with the QC of DPMS as well as Olympics. Spend the couple extra bucks and grab a Stag/CMT or RRA lowers to save headache in the future.

how does one SBR a lower? I thought it was up to barrel length, no?
Properly registered and documented, the SBRed lower can legally accept a short barrel. Of course, the flip side of the coin is that it is an NFA weapon with all of the paperwork, tax stamp, and interstate transport restrictions of said devices.

Does the lower really matter much? I was told as long as it is in spec it's all the other parts that matter the most. I have a dpms rifle but was thinking about a 6.8 build.

Zero Hour Arms in Easton has YHM stripped lowers for $195. 4 Seasons has a complete lower w/ stock for $370-$380

I stopped in to Avid Sports in Pittsfield today. His price to me for a S&W stripped lower was $190. $35 tranfer fee if I buy elsewhere. I have to be able to do better than that. Still has an Olympic Arms on the rack for $700.

If you're willing to wait three weeks, the S&W SSC sells them for $126.40.

Back
Top Bottom