• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pressure testing

Is there such a thing as device to measure Copper Units of Pressure AND be cheap enough for the average reloader (a couple hundred... not the 1,000s and 10,000s that I am worried it will cost).

It may be a bit anal to get this info for my handloads, but it sounds like fun...

CUP testing is expensive and requires special instruments and dedicated pressure barrels. It is not generally used even by the ammo makers these days.

CUP testing shows only high average pressures and cannot detect short duration peak pressures. The change to electronic strain gauge testing a few years ago lead to the re-writing of most handloading manuals and dramatic lowering of most maximum recommended loads.

The strain gauges and electonics to monitor them are available but are still somewhat expensive. The individual strain gauges are epoxied to the outside of the barrel and are good for a single application only.

If you stay within the recommended load ranges that are published by the makers of bullets and powder, you will benefit very little from having actual pressure data.

Spend your money on a good quality chronograph. Consistency of and variations in velocity will tell you a lot about the performance of a given load in your firearm. The whole story is told by reasonable case life and consistently acceptable group size with a bullet that suits your application, either hunting or target.

Jack

tnx.. When I couldnt find one at Midway, I was worried they were going to be expensinve... When I couldn't locate one onlne with Google, I knew they were going to be expensive... :(

I have budgeted for but not yet purchased the Crono.. Maybe by Novemeber..

Tnx again

Back
Top Bottom