Precision/accuracy/reliability testing of Federal Automatch 22LR Ammo 40 Grain

Federal Automatch 22LR Ammo 40 Grain Lead Round Nose seems to be a new fixture for 22lr shooters. Has anyone performed head-to-head tests with any of the more garden variety ammunition (e.g., CCI standard velocity, the aguila offerings, eley offerings)? Photos of groups would be helpful! and comments about misfires, extraction performance, etc are welcome!

For what ever reason I feel like the auto match stuff is just bulk champion but polished nice and clean.
If you look at what target/match shooters are useing for 22lr its much more expensive than this stuff.
to balance accuracy/reliability is tough with 22lr. The hardest part is when you find a particular 22lr that does all you want it to do will you be able to by enough of it to shoot for a while. More times than I care to remember I have had a particular 22lr run great and when I buy another 1k rounds or so later of a different lot# its not as good.

I actually have done a comparison and posted about it here. I don't have all of the pix of our targets posted but we compared 4 types of 22lr through my son's new 10-22 ruger. Aguilla super extra was definately the tightest shot group of all.....cci standard velocity was #2 followed by federal auto match and some american eagle we had. I'd say thought that the federal auto match was not that much of a bigger shot group than the cci standards.......it was close. That was our accuracty test with teh 10-22.......as far as reliability.......we shot an entire 325 round bulk pack of federal auto match that day with only one malfunction and that was a stove pipe......ALL 325 ROUNDS WENT BANG. ANyway.......here is my link.

Look at the pix......decide for yourself but "ragged hole" shor groups are doable at 75 feet with federal auto match. We have decided to use that ammo in his rifle for plate shoots (that is what the gun was purchased for) due to reliability and decent accuracy with respect to cost. But plate shoots don't require "bullesey" accuracy......its about speed reliability and basic accuracy. If we were competing in bulleseye comps then aguilla super would be the ammo in the gun! Enjoy!

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/267295-accurate-little-damn-rifle

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the feedback! Whacko + sons test results are very helpful (for me). As a bullseye shooter, I need tight groups at 50 feet and reliability (bang and extraction). Hopefully, the garden variety ammo will become available at yesterday's prices. I'm not holding my breathe.

I will 2nd that aguila extra has been the best over all ammo out of all my 22s for the lesser side of prices. Wolf match was great also but has crept up in price over the years.
I'm not a big pistol shooter but I have a SW 41 that even I impress myself with using the aguila made centerion branded target stuff....I bought a case from cmp few years back .

I will 2nd that aguila extra has been the best over all ammo out of all my 22s for the lesser side of prices. Wolf match was great also but has crept up in price over the years.
I'm not a big pistol shooter but I have a SW 41 that even I impress myself with using the aguila made centerion branded target stuff....I bought a case from cmp few years back .
I agree.....if the game you play is about hitting the x on paper then my son's 10-22 likes aguila and the additional cost is worth it (the few 50 round boxes I have cost me .14 cents a round). However the game my son is into is plate shoots so reliability is prefered over pinpont accuracy as there are no "aliby" shots in plate shoots......if you jam.....you miss those plates adn cannot make them up. Not syaing aguila had reliability issues.....it did not.....but I can get federal auto match in bulk packs for about 8 cents a round so that is what we practice with and use in the competitions......In my opinion one stovepipe malfunction out of a 325 round box is pretty damn good (probably a fluke where the casing bounced funny off the receiver and jammed in the bolt) for 8 cent a round ammo (and I've heard recently it can be had up at rileys in hooksett for 4 cents a round).

Last edited:
I agree.....if the game you play is about hitting the x on paper then my son's 10-22 likes aguila and the additional cost is worth it (the few 50 round boxes I have cost me .14 cents a round). However the game my son is into is plate shoots so reliability is prefered over pinpont accuracy as there are no "aliby" shots in plate shoots......if you jam.....you miss those plates adn cannot make them up. Not syaing aguila had reliability issues.....it did not.....but I can get federal auto match in bulk packs for about 8 cents a round so that is what we practice with and use in the competitions......In my opinion one stovepipe malfunction out of a 325 round box is pretty damn good (probably a fluke where the casing bounced funny off the receiver and jammed in the bolt) for 8 cent a round ammo (and I've heard recently it can be had up at rileys in hooksett for 4 cents a round).

I also picked up a case of the remington surplus stuff from CMP made to different specs I have no idea BUT it functions great also and I would say great for steel plate.

Back
Top Bottom