• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Preban--worth it?

Machines

NES Member
Philosophical question here. I'm buying a preban retro AR because it's a price no one could refuse, and I've always wanted to play with a '60s style AR. I already have a modern post-ban AR that I built myself using all handpicked components. The ole wallet probably won't support keeping both.

What's NES's opinion on the usefulness of a preban rifle? I'm mulling this over and I'm just thinking that collapsible stocks and bayonet lugs don't matter that much to me. It's not my favorite shooting configuration and I'd stand to make a substantial profit/tradeup if I flipped it. Anything else I should be considering here?

Philosophical question here. I'm buying a preban retro AR because it's a price no one could refuse, and I've always wanted to play with a '60s style AR. I already have a modern post-ban AR that I built myself using all handpicked components. The ole wallet probably won't support keeping both.

What's NES's opinion on the usefulness of a preban rifle? I'm mulling this over and I'm just thinking that collapsible stocks and bayonet lugs don't matter that much to me. It's not my favorite shooting configuration and I'd stand to make a substantial profit/tradeup if I flipped it. Anything else I should be considering here?
Flip it and buy more ammo.

A preban rifle is not worth much of a premium to me. I agree with you on collapsible stocks and bayo lugs, I don't really need either one. The only advantage left is the ability to remove the muzzle brake. For me, this only comes into play if you want to make changes to the handguard, gas block, etc... It's definitely nice to be able to remove your muzzle brake and reconfigure your rifle, but if you have a setup you like, you may never want to change it.

I'd sell it.

If its cheap enough and you like it then why not keep it? I don't think preban fetches what it used to. There no real bonus other than the ease of not having to pin everything.

if it's able to go to CT those guys got totally ****ed and the ones that actually care about the laws will be dumb enough to toss major cash at you for the lower. sell it and turn a hefty profit.

I have a collapsible stock on every one of my ARs. I don't shoot at the same extension setting with a plate carrier vs. w/o a plate carrier vs. off the bench, etc. If you always leave the stock at the same position regardless of shooting position, then flip it and make a few bucks.

collapsible stock would be nice since i have family members with different L.O.P. needs, also i'd like to not have a destroyed barrel because it has a muzzle brake welded to it....
and i'd want to put my bayonet on because, you know... knives make rifles MORE killy.....

none of which is worth the ridiculously artificially inflated prices of pre-ban receivers....

i'll wait 'til i move to the US or until MA smartens up.....

whichever comes first....

If its cheap enough and you like it then why not keep it?

Sticking to my gun budget. Something comes in, something's gotta go. I suppose if I fell in love with this thing I'd keep it as my only AR.

collapsible stock would be nice since i have family members with different L.O.P. needs, also i'd like to not have a destroyed barrel because it has a muzzle brake welded to it....

I built my first AR with one of those Colt uppers with the target crowned barrel just for that reason. Gets funny looks at the range and guys always tell me how I should get something cool welded to it. Gotta explain the whole barrel damage thing.

Nobody in the know really cares about pweeban anything anymore, just flip it and make some cash. There's plenty of ways around the stupid laws if you need those features.

-Mike

...Gets funny looks at the range and guys always tell me how I should get something cool welded to it. Gotta explain the whole barrel damage thing.

I like my YHM brake, it's loud and obnoxious, and it has stabby pointy bits on the end.... i can't have a knife on my rifle, so it's kinda my subtle FU....

Back
Top Bottom