preban mixed with postban

as i search for lowers to build a few AR rifles i was wondering today

i have 2 preban lowers and am going to purchase 3 postban lowers this weekend
so i was thinking of this hypothetical situation

say i had my 2 prebans as full preban rifles and 2 postbans as 2 postban rifles

but also had a preban upper and post ban lower that were not mounted together but stored together could i get in trouble? do you follow or is it confusing?

also...in order to be considered postban...the barrel can have a permanently affixed (ie silver soldered) flash hider right?
or is that to make a 14.5" bbl legal with a 1.5" compensator permanently attached...i get those 2 confused

(IANAL)...

I don't believe that constitutes "constructive intent" (you have the capability and parts to build an illegally configured firearm), but from what I've understood in the past, the uppers and lowers stored the way you describe would be repair parts and is perfectly legal. If you had only one post-ban lower and a pre-ban upper (even though they're not assembled), that were stored together, then you could be in trouble.

Flash suppressor... no go.

Muzzle brake permanently attached... fine and dandy.

FWIW, if you plan on going with a 14.5" barrel and 1.5" muzzle brake, it's a good idea to add 1/8" - 1/4" fudge factor to the overall length (have a 16" barrel cut to 14.75", get a longer slightly long muzzle brake).

ya thats what i was worried about...even if the parts arent together if they are stored together does that constitute an assembled firearm

maybe ill just leave one of the lowers stripped then

so technically i could get a threaded barrel and attach this thing through silver solder and i'd be fine?

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=78

i just hate the look of a plain barrel and the miculek compensator is really the only one that i'd considering getting...but i want a fluted barrel and bushmaster doesnt make any without flash hiders

This was addressed by BATFE Tech Section during the Fed Ban, so it was clear what you could and couldn't do legally.

MA has no such technical group, no such interpretations, no interpretations are put in writing when asked for info, strictly verbal.

This would be open to the interpretation of a responding LEO and ADA. Likely they would attempt to prosecute (my guess based on their ignorance and general hatred of guns in hands of civilians). Any of us so affected could raise the interpretation given by BATFE (that what you propose would be legal) and HOPE that a judge or jury would agree. I would call it a crap shoot with the legal system.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with what you propose. Would I take the risk . . . I don't know.

ya thats what i was worried about...even if the parts arent together if they are stored together does that constitute an assembled firearm

maybe ill just leave one of the lowers stripped then

so technically i could get a threaded barrel and attach this thing through silver solder and i'd be fine?

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=78

i just hate the look of a plain barrel and the miculek compensator is really the only one that i'd considering getting...but i want a fluted barrel and bushmaster doesnt make any without flash hiders

Why the fluted barrel? Especially on a 14.5" bbl. That's something more suited for a precision type rifle (benchrest, sniper, etc). Supposedly it makes the barrel more ridged and aids in cooling. OTHOH, it will give you (negligible), weight savings and it does look nice [smile].

Buy a pre-ban barrel (with or without FS), and Miculek comp separately and have it permanently attached (it's the same thread pitch).

login...i planned to used the fluted barrel as a 20" or 24" precision rifle and maybe get a 16" one as a carbine...saw a guy a few weeks ago shooting a carbine with a fluted barrel and it looked really good with an S.I.R. system too

Buy a pre-ban barrel (with or without FS), and Miculek comp separately and have it permanently attached (it's the same thread pitch).

this is what i was wondering...if i buy a threaded barrel...is it legal to permanently attach the compensator like the YHM one above

only problem with the preban barrel is i'd have to saw the bayo lug off

login...i planned to used the fluted barrel as a 20" or 24" precision rifle and maybe get a 16" one as a carbine...saw a guy a few weeks ago shooting a carbine with a fluted barrel and it looked really good with an S.I.R. system too

That'll work. [smile]

this is what i was wondering...if i buy a threaded barrel...is it legal to permanently attach the compensator like the YHM one above

They were legal to sell and posses like that during the 10 years the fed ban was in effect and the current MA AWB... just as long as it really is permanently attached (silver soldered with 1,100 degrees F melt point solder, welded one half the circumference/4 equidistant spot welds, blind pinned and welded over pin. Bushmaster used to utilize the blind pin method, I have no idea if they still do it that way).

only problem with the preban barrel is i'd have to saw the bayo lug off

That's easily done with Dremel, bench grinder or file. Or you can remove the "ears" and leave a remanent of the lug (it's not a bayonet lug if it's not capable of accepting a bayonet... then again, as pointed out, this is MA so any other definition is possible). Touch up the area with a bit of cold blue or flat black paint.

lug.JPG

One way or another, you won't be able to have the bayo lug on the post-ban

Back
Top Bottom