Pre ban AR

I am interested in purchasing a pre ban AR and just have a question about the law. I have read and understood most of NY laws in reference to Nassau County. The only thing I am having a hard time with is when I purchase a pre ban AR will it be legal if i replace the Upper receiver with a modern one. Or does modifying the Rifle in any way via new parts make the pre ban status obsolete. Also can i replace the Handgaurd with a new one and still keep the rifle pre ban legal, allowing such parts as the bayonet lug to remain.

Thank you in advance.

Also I almost forgot, can I use pre ban Mags in Post ban guns legally. If so there is really little reason to go with a pre ban is there.

Last edited:
My understanding of the awb law in NewYork is that the lower is the part that matters. There is no serial number on the upper so it is not easy to determine the date of manufacture on an upper. The magazine question is totally separate from the pre-ban status of the rifle. If the magazine was manufactured prior to 1994 it would be legal to use in any weapon regardless of age. The high capacity ammunition feeding device ban is totally separate from the assault weapons ban, even if you did not have a gun it is illegal to possess a high capacity magazine made after 1994 in New York. Below is the link to the info I used to determine this, I am not a lawyer or judge, so I don't really count except to me.
http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics/

Back
Top Bottom