PPS in .40

Kicker96FS

NES Member
I know that EC could care less but then again maybe he would worry about the sudden surge of .40 guns in the state, but I e-mailed The company the other day and asked when the ,40 was going to make the approved roster or the AG's "list" (there is no list right?) and the answer I get is "It should be submitted soon."

What the heck kind of answer is that? I mean the 9mm is the same gun right? The diff. is the caliber, so what's the big deal? How long has the 9 been Mass approved? Jeesh!

I have been hearing for a year now that it should be approved "soon" and now they tell me that it has not even been submitted.

(Can you tell that I want one?)

Good luck in your quest. Being fortunate enough to live in NH, I own a PPS .40, and love it! Have you ever shot one?

I have been hearing for a year now that it should be approved "soon" and now they tell me that it has not even been submitted.

I've been hearing the same thing so to find out that they haven't even submitted it yet is discouraging. One would think that since S&W is located in MA, they, more than any other manufacturer, would be sympathetic to our situation and the gun roster.

I decided not to wait for the PPS .40 and went with a Sig 239 instead. When/if the PPS becomes available, I will probably get it but until that happens I have a Sig to enjoy.

I know that EC could care less but then again maybe he would worry about the sudden surge of .40 guns in the state, but I e-mailed The company the other day and asked when the ,40 was going to make the approved roster or the AG's "list" (there is no list right?) and the answer I get is "It should be submitted soon."

What the heck kind of answer is that? I mean the 9mm is the same gun right? The diff. is the caliber, so what's the big deal?

The "diff" is that the .40 has a different barrel and slide, at a minimum, and probably didn't exist when the original PPS was submitted. There is a wallhack that allows you to certify for highest and then the others are automatically included, although S+W generally does not take advantage of that provision for whatever reason.

IMO the PPS .40 is just a big yawnfest waiting to happen... that's why it's not available yet. I doubt S+W is selling them like hotcakes. (IMO pistols smaller than a G27 chambered in .40 S+W = generally dumb idea- that only appeals to about 2% of the market. The target is probably off duty carry gun for PDs that use .40 S+W... more than anything else, where the cartridge used is probably a mandate internally. )

-Mike

Good luck in your quest. Being fortunate enough to live in NH, I own a PPS .40, and love it! Have you ever shot one?

No, but I did handle one at a NH gun store and loved the feel of it.

The "diff" is that the .40 has a different barrel and slide, at a minimum, and probably didn't exist when the original PPS was submitted. There is a wallhack that allows you to certify for highest and then the others are automatically included, although S+W generally does not take advantage of that provision for whatever reason.

IMO the PPS .40 is just a big yawnfest waiting to happen... that's why it's not available yet. I doubt S+W is selling them like hotcakes. (IMO pistols smaller than a G27 chambered in .40 S+W = generally dumb idea- that only appeals to about 2% of the market. The target is probably off duty carry gun for PDs that use .40 S+W... more than anything else, where the cartridge used is probably a mandate internally. )

-Mike

I get that. I too want it because I already have and reload .40. Not to mention I have about 7k of empty shells waiting to reload.

I like the size of the gun and it's feel.

I have a 9mm PPS and I don't think I'd enjoy shooting it as a .40. I have a Kahr K40 that is sweet to shoot. Yeah trigger and reset are both loooong, but it's a very nice reliable carry gun and has acceptable handling for how small it is.

I have one and like it. I am willing to admit the platform is probably best suited to 9mm.

I happen to have consolidated to all 40 though just because that's where circumstance lead me. It's still a fine gun in 40

I have one and like it. I am willing to admit the platform is probably best suited to 9mm.

I happen to have consolidated to all 40 though just because that's where circumstance lead me. It's still a fine gun in 40

I could of swore that SW told me that they were already in the process of being tested in MA, when I was at the Foxwoods dealer show in JAN.

As far as I know expect them out this year.

I like mine in 9mm but will never love anything more than my full-size P99. I hate the fact that the PPS does not have the decocker like the other walthers - as I like to carry with one in the pipe but in DA.

I fired a PPS in .40 and didn't find it nearly as controllable as my girlfriend's 9mm PPS. My shot to shot recovery times were very high.

I switched from a PPK to a PPS for summer carry and I'm quite happy.
I find the PPS a comfortable gun to carry,great ergonomics and I actually like the styling.
The 9mm was my only option(living in MA.),given a choice I'd still go w/ the 9.

Dench I think your correct...I was told they should be avaliable very soon. As early as the end of the month....I had a conversation with EARL'S and Four Season's ...Both Carl and Earl are both very reliable source's of information...IMHO

This is indeed good news! I am not surprised, well, a little, that customer service has no clue as to what is really going on.

I shot a couple of mags through a PPS in 9mm (with the swapped disconnector). I was impressed that it was so thin but the grip was long enough (front to back) to accommodate my large hands. My only two complaints were the grips and mag release. The grips hard plastic had lots of sharp edges on it, especially between the base of the grip and the magazine base. If I bought one I'd probably melt the sharp edges. Honestly, how many PPS owners try to push a non-existent mag release button? How many try to push down the trigger guard on their other guns? I just don't trust myself, especially with a carry gun, to learn another mag release that is so different from my other semi's.

I LOVE the mag release. It's my favorite. I like it beteer than my thumb button sigs and my hk which has a similar set up. It's so easy to use yet so out of the way. I have always been torn about my HK mag release. To me the walther has all the benifits of the hk but it is even more inconspicuous and at the same time easy to activate.

Just my 2 cents.

I shot a couple of mags through a PPS in 9mm (with the swapped disconnector). I was impressed that it was so thin but the grip was long enough (front to back) to accommodate my large hands. My only two complaints were the grips and mag release. The grips hard plastic had lots of sharp edges on it, especially between the base of the grip and the magazine base. If I bought one I'd probably melt the sharp edges. Honestly, how many PPS owners try to push a non-existent mag release button? How many try to push down the trigger guard on their other guns? I just don't trust myself, especially with a carry gun, to learn another mag release that is so different from my other semi's.

Back
Top Bottom