PPK RECALL INFO???

BONESTOCK

NES Member
Hello all,

I am just wondering if anyone has heard from Smith and Wesson on the PPK recall or have these guns just gone into a black hole???
2 months and waiting, had to buy another gun for backup on duty.

My father sent his in on April 2nd and got it back yesterday. There is hope...

BTW, he said that the trigger pull is a lot harder now. Hmm...I will have to check it out.

My father sent his in on April 2nd and got it back yesterday. There is hope...

BTW, he said that the trigger pull is a lot harder now. Hmm...I will have to check it out.

[angry] I was just thinking about buying one. F&$k. What prompted this recall that would cause the trigger to change?

Mine came back Friday. Smith/Walther had it since 033009. By chance, I called Thursday to see what was up. The operator checked and said it shipped that day. I never was informed by anyone, either Smith/Walther or UPS that I had a shipment coming that required a signature. Again, just luck that I called so that someone would be here to receive it. I couldn't get a tracking number until Friday morning. Believe it or not, it went right through Chemlsford. I've never had any shipment that didn't languish there for a day or two (that place is the speed bump of anything for me coming from the west or north). As far as the pistol goes, I bought it new at the end of January (yup, just in time for the recall, I think they were waiting on me) I wanted a small pistol and it was a toss up between a S&W642LS and the Walther PPK. Impulse buy, the place had a couple PPK's but not 642 in LS so the PPK it is. Took it to the range a couple times, a lot of FTF's. Tried a few different brands, still hung up on feeding. I was going to send it back to Smith/Walther but then the recall came. When I sent it in, I noted that this thing has a tendency to jam on the feed. It's dissapointing as I love the way this little bugger fits my hand, by far my favorite by way of design, the worst by way of function. As a side note, about midway through the wait, I got my 2 freebie mags, good one Smith/Walther, in the ammo bin with the others. When I got the pistol back, the techs said they polished the feed ramps to help with the feeding issues and changed out the part that it was initially returned for. I haven't had the chance to try it yet. The decocker is smoother now but I really didn't have a chance to just work the older one in. The trigger "seems" a bit lighter in double action. The travel is less than 1/8" in single, which is pretty good for a small auto. So all in all, the techs did a decent job by me and a bit more by way of actually reading my note and doing more than what it was supposed to be in for. By way of admin, I think they weren't quite ready to activate such a massive recall. If it were my only pistol, I may have been a bit more sour on that subject. Hopefully the FTF's will abate. Won't know for a bit as this is a graduation weekend for one of the kiddos.

I see light at the end of the tunnel...

I just got off the phone with a perky young lady at S&W. She informs me that my gun was shipped this morning, 2nd day air, and I should have it back by Friday. [dance]

I'll save the [party] for when I actually get to fire it. [wink]

It's baaaack....

Just got mine back, a day earlier then predicted, via Fedex! According to the memo enclosed with it, S&W did two things:

1) Repair decock lever system

2) Polish ramp of barrel

I expected the first one, but polishing of the feed ramp was a surprise. Has anyone else had this done automatically as part of the recall? Big_Red said that his Dad was reporting a heavier trigger pull after the recall; that doesn't seem to be the case with mine. If anything, it feels a little lighter/smoother. The gun does need to be cleaned and lubed. It looks like they completely stripped off all lubricant when they worked on it.

Now I'll finally get to try shooting this gun. I had just acquired it when the recall hit, so never had time to even try it.

EDIT: Apparently S&W is routinely polishing the feed ramps when they do the recall work - just caught this info in another thread.

Last edited:
www.waltherppks.com

Check out Walther PPK/S
HTML:
as the recall process is initiated and follow along to the final result.

Any and all pertinent info about the Walther PPK recall can be found here.

More info is being added along the way.

Back
Top Bottom